Blog: Europe's bar owners - you think you've got it tough?
Olly Wehring | 30 July 2007
So, you run a bar in western Europe.
It's pouring down outside, meaning the punters aren't making their way to your hostelry. The weather forecast is so grim, you're checking out property in the Algarve.
The smoking ban your government has introduced has also helped drive the drinkers away, and drink-drive legislation - also introduced by your elected body - is also making its presence felt, in the form of empty bar stools.
Oh, you've got it bad, haven't you?
There's always someone worse off, however. Meet Kamal 'Van Damme' - landlord of a bar in the Berber mountains in Algeria.
The Islamists and the military use his doorstep as their warzone. Does he let it get to him? Dear me, no: There's customers to serve.
Bar owners of the west - Pull yourselves together!
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends