Blog: Europe's bar owners - you think you've got it tough?
Olly Wehring | 30 July 2007
So, you run a bar in western Europe.
It's pouring down outside, meaning the punters aren't making their way to your hostelry. The weather forecast is so grim, you're checking out property in the Algarve.
The smoking ban your government has introduced has also helped drive the drinkers away, and drink-drive legislation - also introduced by your elected body - is also making its presence felt, in the form of empty bar stools.
Oh, you've got it bad, haven't you?
There's always someone worse off, however. Meet Kamal 'Van Damme' - landlord of a bar in the Berber mountains in Algeria.
The Islamists and the military use his doorstep as their warzone. Does he let it get to him? Dear me, no: There's customers to serve.
Bar owners of the west - Pull yourselves together!
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
It is a bold attempt to regain a measure of control in the ever-spiraling debate about sugar. But will The Coca-Cola Co's new marketing strategy - which for the first time ties all of the Coke family ...
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- SABMiller's Europe chief to join Britvic board
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research