Blog: Europe's bar owners - you think you've got it tough?
Olly Wehring | 30 July 2007
So, you run a bar in western Europe.
It's pouring down outside, meaning the punters aren't making their way to your hostelry. The weather forecast is so grim, you're checking out property in the Algarve.
The smoking ban your government has introduced has also helped drive the drinkers away, and drink-drive legislation - also introduced by your elected body - is also making its presence felt, in the form of empty bar stools.
Oh, you've got it bad, haven't you?
There's always someone worse off, however. Meet Kamal 'Van Damme' - landlord of a bar in the Berber mountains in Algeria.
The Islamists and the military use his doorstep as their warzone. Does he let it get to him? Dear me, no: There's customers to serve.
Bar owners of the west - Pull yourselves together!
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US