Blog: Europe's bar owners - you think you've got it tough?
Olly Wehring | 30 July 2007
So, you run a bar in western Europe.
It's pouring down outside, meaning the punters aren't making their way to your hostelry. The weather forecast is so grim, you're checking out property in the Algarve.
The smoking ban your government has introduced has also helped drive the drinkers away, and drink-drive legislation - also introduced by your elected body - is also making its presence felt, in the form of empty bar stools.
Oh, you've got it bad, haven't you?
There's always someone worse off, however. Meet Kamal 'Van Damme' - landlord of a bar in the Berber mountains in Algeria.
The Islamists and the military use his doorstep as their warzone. Does he let it get to him? Dear me, no: There's customers to serve.
Bar owners of the west - Pull yourselves together!
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo and Coca-Cola Co, Castel, Molson Coors and the cachaca sector....
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Coca-Cola Life, Australian Vintage, Pernod Ricard and BrewDog....
- just The Preview - Diageo's FY preliminaries
- Analysis - SABMiller's Australian issues continue
- Focus - SABMiller's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's H1 & Q2
- NPD: Alcohol Beverage “Mash-Ups” Fuel Innovation
- Diageo silent over Shuijingfang writedown report
- Sales, profits fall at Moet Hennessy in H1
- Britvic promotes GB marketing head to global post
- Molson Coors CEO to retire
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned