Blog: Europe's bar owners - you think you've got it tough?
Olly Wehring | 30 July 2007
So, you run a bar in western Europe.
It's pouring down outside, meaning the punters aren't making their way to your hostelry. The weather forecast is so grim, you're checking out property in the Algarve.
The smoking ban your government has introduced has also helped drive the drinkers away, and drink-drive legislation - also introduced by your elected body - is also making its presence felt, in the form of empty bar stools.
Oh, you've got it bad, haven't you?
There's always someone worse off, however. Meet Kamal 'Van Damme' - landlord of a bar in the Berber mountains in Algeria.
The Islamists and the military use his doorstep as their warzone. Does he let it get to him? Dear me, no: There's customers to serve.
Bar owners of the west - Pull yourselves together!
It's a bank holiday here in the UK on Monday (25 August). just-drinks' team will be taking a well-earned lie down. ...
Poland is hardly noted for its cider consumption, but all this could be about to change. ...
Here's a brave move by the folk from Camerata at Paulie's in Houston: a wine-related parody of Summer Nights from Grease....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring The Coca-Cola Co and Monster Beverage Corp, Constellation Brands, Anheuser-Busch InBev and Australia's wine producers....
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Has Coca-Cola Jumped From Frying Pan to Fire?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- Brewers Feel Prolonged Russian Winter
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Portman finds against Diageo "mix it up" tagline
- Diageo appoints head for Asia marketing unit