Blog: Euro-themed tax campaign video launched
James Wilmore | 11 June 2012
Pubs here in England are set for bumper sales this evening, with the national team kicking-off their campaign in the European Football Championships.
But it's not all cheer for brewers and publicans. The issue of beer tax continues to loom large - duty has risen 40% since 2008. So, in a clever bit of campaigning a coalition of industry bodies have put together a video highlighting the UK's stinging rate of beer tax. It points out that UK punters pay 13 times more beer tax than the Germans, 12 times more than Spanish and nine times more than the French. Sacrebleu!
It's all part of a campaign to persuade the government to abandon the duty escalator system, which will see taxes go up 2% above inflation automatically each year until 2014.
You can see the video below...
However, in some ways they can count themselves lucky. In Brazil, the federal governemnt has just hiked beer tax by 27% - in a single year.
Follow me: @jamescwilmore
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Carlsberg, Heineken, Coca-Cola Amatil, California's winelands and Cognac....
The Coca-Cola Co's Keurig Cold machine won't be out until next year. But co-developer Keurig Green Mountain has given us a taste with the unveiling this weekend of another at-home beverage platform, t...
It's a bank holiday here in the UK on Monday (25 August). just-drinks' team will be taking a well-earned lie down. ...
Poland is hardly noted for its cider consumption, but all this could be about to change. ...
- CCA - Coca-Cola's Canary in the Mine
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q4 & FY
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q1
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- SABMiller exec to become CFO at Beam Suntory
- Brown-Forman unveils Jack Daniel's UK push
- Champagne will not regain lost ground until 2018
- Bacardi announces CFO switch