Blog: Euro-themed tax campaign video launched
James Wilmore | 11 June 2012
Pubs here in England are set for bumper sales this evening, with the national team kicking-off their campaign in the European Football Championships.
But it's not all cheer for brewers and publicans. The issue of beer tax continues to loom large - duty has risen 40% since 2008. So, in a clever bit of campaigning a coalition of industry bodies have put together a video highlighting the UK's stinging rate of beer tax. It points out that UK punters pay 13 times more beer tax than the Germans, 12 times more than Spanish and nine times more than the French. Sacrebleu!
It's all part of a campaign to persuade the government to abandon the duty escalator system, which will see taxes go up 2% above inflation automatically each year until 2014.
You can see the video below...
However, in some ways they can count themselves lucky. In Brazil, the federal governemnt has just hiked beer tax by 27% - in a single year.
Follow me: @jamescwilmore
Heineken is gearing up for a product launch in Australia this month. But exactly what the product is, the brewer is not saying....
It's Summer in the northern hemisphere and the beer festivals are in full swing. Even the famously secluded North Korea is letting its regulation-cut hair down with the Taedonggang Beer Festival, name...
Drinks companies that use celebrities and influencers to endorse products via social media could be in line for some rule changes....
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages