Blog: Energy shots a slow burner for GSK?
Michelle Russell | 18 February 2011
GSK's annual Soft Drinks Live event is always guaranteed to arm journalists with a raft of product launches to take back to the office with them. But, this year we also got a clue as to which launches have not gone so well.
Last year the firm was keen to talk up its GBP5m (US$8.1m) spend on the Lucozade brand in a bid to boost sales of its Lucozade Alert Plus energy shots. The shots were launched in the UK in September 2009.
This year, however, the group's approach is more muted.
Speaking to journalists at yesterday's Soft Drinks Live event, Suzy Smith, Lucozade marketing director, said the shots have fallen a little flat.
“We had huge expectations for the [shot] category that haven't been matched,” Smith said. “We haven't walked away though. We believe it will take time, we want to see how it can be more accessible and bring more consumers to the category.”
It seems that, while the energy category on the whole is a major growth driver for the firm, the shots category in particular is proving a little harder to succeed in.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends