Blog: Energy shots a slow burner for GSK?
Michelle Russell | 18 February 2011
GSK's annual Soft Drinks Live event is always guaranteed to arm journalists with a raft of product launches to take back to the office with them. But, this year we also got a clue as to which launches have not gone so well.
Last year the firm was keen to talk up its GBP5m (US$8.1m) spend on the Lucozade brand in a bid to boost sales of its Lucozade Alert Plus energy shots. The shots were launched in the UK in September 2009.
This year, however, the group's approach is more muted.
Speaking to journalists at yesterday's Soft Drinks Live event, Suzy Smith, Lucozade marketing director, said the shots have fallen a little flat.
“We had huge expectations for the [shot] category that haven't been matched,” Smith said. “We haven't walked away though. We believe it will take time, we want to see how it can be more accessible and bring more consumers to the category.”
It seems that, while the energy category on the whole is a major growth driver for the firm, the shots category in particular is proving a little harder to succeed in.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits