Blog: Energy shots a slow burner for GSK?
Michelle Russell | 18 February 2011
GSK's annual Soft Drinks Live event is always guaranteed to arm journalists with a raft of product launches to take back to the office with them. But, this year we also got a clue as to which launches have not gone so well.
Last year the firm was keen to talk up its GBP5m (US$8.1m) spend on the Lucozade brand in a bid to boost sales of its Lucozade Alert Plus energy shots. The shots were launched in the UK in September 2009.
This year, however, the group's approach is more muted.
Speaking to journalists at yesterday's Soft Drinks Live event, Suzy Smith, Lucozade marketing director, said the shots have fallen a little flat.
“We had huge expectations for the [shot] category that haven't been matched,” Smith said. “We haven't walked away though. We believe it will take time, we want to see how it can be more accessible and bring more consumers to the category.”
It seems that, while the energy category on the whole is a major growth driver for the firm, the shots category in particular is proving a little harder to succeed in.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends