Blog: Energy shots a slow burner for GSK?
Michelle Russell | 18 February 2011
GSK's annual Soft Drinks Live event is always guaranteed to arm journalists with a raft of product launches to take back to the office with them. But, this year we also got a clue as to which launches have not gone so well.
Last year the firm was keen to talk up its GBP5m (US$8.1m) spend on the Lucozade brand in a bid to boost sales of its Lucozade Alert Plus energy shots. The shots were launched in the UK in September 2009.
This year, however, the group's approach is more muted.
Speaking to journalists at yesterday's Soft Drinks Live event, Suzy Smith, Lucozade marketing director, said the shots have fallen a little flat.
“We had huge expectations for the [shot] category that haven't been matched,” Smith said. “We haven't walked away though. We believe it will take time, we want to see how it can be more accessible and bring more consumers to the category.”
It seems that, while the energy category on the whole is a major growth driver for the firm, the shots category in particular is proving a little harder to succeed in.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research