Blog: End of forecasting?
Chris Brook-Carter | 28 October 2003
According to a survey by the Association for Investment Management and Research, nearly 70% of its 1,050 members worldwide said the practice of corporate management providing specific earnings forecasts could lead to "earnings management," or manipulation of financial reports. And 51% said such guidance would increase the volatility of a company's stock.
According to the survey the money managers would prefer corporate executives to provide them with the "general trend and performance information" about their companies so that the investment professionals can draw their own conclusions.
Coca-Cola has already gone down this route and it will be interesting to see if others follow in the post Enron environment, when any suspicion of "earnings management" is likely to have dire consequences.
Paul Walsh just can't stay away from the drinks industry....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Johnnie Walker Bourbon Cask & Rye Finish - NPD
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report