Blog: End of forecasting?
Chris Brook-Carter | 28 October 2003
According to a survey by the Association for Investment Management and Research, nearly 70% of its 1,050 members worldwide said the practice of corporate management providing specific earnings forecasts could lead to "earnings management," or manipulation of financial reports. And 51% said such guidance would increase the volatility of a company's stock.
According to the survey the money managers would prefer corporate executives to provide them with the "general trend and performance information" about their companies so that the investment professionals can draw their own conclusions.
Coca-Cola has already gone down this route and it will be interesting to see if others follow in the post Enron environment, when any suspicion of "earnings management" is likely to have dire consequences.
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review