Blog: End of forecasting?
Chris Brook-Carter | 28 October 2003
According to a survey by the Association for Investment Management and Research, nearly 70% of its 1,050 members worldwide said the practice of corporate management providing specific earnings forecasts could lead to "earnings management," or manipulation of financial reports. And 51% said such guidance would increase the volatility of a company's stock.
According to the survey the money managers would prefer corporate executives to provide them with the "general trend and performance information" about their companies so that the investment professionals can draw their own conclusions.
Coca-Cola has already gone down this route and it will be interesting to see if others follow in the post Enron environment, when any suspicion of "earnings management" is likely to have dire consequences.
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends