Blog: Elderly fun with Task 21
Olly Wehring | 21 September 2007
This week, the UK supermarket chain Morrisons refused to sell a bottle of wine to a pensioner. I kid you not.
On Wednesday (19 September), limping, white-haired and grey-bearded 72 year old Tony Ralls was asked by jobsworth supermarket checkout staff at Morrisons, West Kirby, Merseyside, if he could prove he was over 21 years of age.
He was not amused. He was not flattered. He was not trying to buy alcohol illegally.
He was, he thought, just buying his favourite wine from the supermarket.
But it was not to be.
Apparently, when the store manager came to the check-out, he simply refused to let the OAP buy it, leant in grabbed the wine and returned it to the shelf.
Ralls fumed: "I told the manager that I wouldn't confirm I was over 21 because it was a stupid question. He picks up the wine and, in the manner of a child taking home his ball, says: 'Well, we won't serve you'."
A spokesperson for Morrisons said: "To further limit any element of doubt, staff at the West Kirby store are required to ask anyone buying alcohol to confirm that they are over 21."
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends