Blog: Elderly fun with Task 21
Olly Wehring | 21 September 2007
This week, the UK supermarket chain Morrisons refused to sell a bottle of wine to a pensioner. I kid you not.
On Wednesday (19 September), limping, white-haired and grey-bearded 72 year old Tony Ralls was asked by jobsworth supermarket checkout staff at Morrisons, West Kirby, Merseyside, if he could prove he was over 21 years of age.
He was not amused. He was not flattered. He was not trying to buy alcohol illegally.
He was, he thought, just buying his favourite wine from the supermarket.
But it was not to be.
Apparently, when the store manager came to the check-out, he simply refused to let the OAP buy it, leant in grabbed the wine and returned it to the shelf.
Ralls fumed: "I told the manager that I wouldn't confirm I was over 21 because it was a stupid question. He picks up the wine and, in the manner of a child taking home his ball, says: 'Well, we won't serve you'."
A spokesperson for Morrisons said: "To further limit any element of doubt, staff at the West Kirby store are required to ask anyone buying alcohol to confirm that they are over 21."
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends