Blog: Education, education, education
Chris Brook-Carter | 23 February 2004
A trip into the Big Smoke that is London last week saw a heartening outburst of cooperation between the big spirits companies. All five have teamed up with the Worshipful Company of Distillers to support, both financially and morally, the Wine and Spirit Education Trust’s new training course, the Professional Certificate in Spirits.
Such a course is long overdue. Wine qualifications are two to the dozen and spirits have been poorly represented. Looking back at my own Higher Certificate course with WSET, I can remember being disappointed that after weeks studying Bordeaux and Burgundy’s soil, Italy's grapes and Spain's vines, we got only one evening’s lecture on the entire spirits world.
In an age where spirits are becoming the important growth drivers in the industry, particularly in the US, this sort of education is to be applauded.
Not only does the course look impressive, but how refreshing it was to see the big spirits groups team up in such a constructive way for the industry. It is nice not to feel duty bound to view such collaborations with a sense of cynicism and one hopes the example can be used to forward other important debates such as alcohol policy, where a truly pan-industry stand is still lacking.
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets