Blog: Easy as abv
Chris Brook-Carter | 10 September 2003
At only £6 a can, at 23% abv and in 300ml cans, they had a point.
Well news fell on the just-drinks desk today of an even stronger beer.
Brewed by the US-based Boston Beer Company, Samuel Adams Utopias, a collection of "extreme beer" come in at 25% abv.
However, these are an altogether different animal and really do add something to the beer category. I remember talking to Stewart Gilliland last year while he was still the head of Interbrew UK about his hopes for a £10 bottled beer brand. Well these retail at an amazing US$100 a bottle. They have been aged for roughly two years in Bourbon, Scotch, Cognac and Port barrels and are packaged in a kettle-shaped, copper-coloured bottles.
These are drinks for the connoisseur and I hope they succeed because they add value and excitement to a category that desperately needs both.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research