Blog: Drinktec 2009 - kein' probleme
Olly Wehring | 18 September 2009
Our time here at this year's Drinktec exhibition is fast drawing to a close. just-drinks has spent the past week traipsing the halls of the New Munich Trade Fair Centre, and is soon set to head off to sample the delights of this fine city's fabled Oktoberfest, which opens tomorrow.
While much is often made of the size of this four-yearly event (yes, it's very, very large – get over it), what has been most prevalent this week has been the air of optimism amongst the majority of exhibitors. “The current climate presents us with more opportunities than it does problems” is a mantra we've oft heard this week. These words have proved reassuring after the well-documented travails of many in the past year, and for that we shold all be hopeful.
Whilst this event does not provide quite as much colour as, say, the London International Wine Fair, this is the real grass roots of our industry, and a field without which none of us would be here. It is also clear that many of the attendees know how to have a good time just as much as those that work for the drinks producers.
With many stand parties in the halls going on in to the early hours of the mornings, this event is a test of both legs and livers. And ears, if rumours of a Bavarian folk band playing Status Quo covers until all hours are to be believed.
We've had a most productive time here, having met many new faces and made many new friends.
We'll see you all again in Munich in 2013.
Unless you're in a beer tent in central Munich tomorrow lunchtime.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends