Blog: Drinktec 2009 - kein' probleme
Olly Wehring | 18 September 2009
Our time here at this year's Drinktec exhibition is fast drawing to a close. just-drinks has spent the past week traipsing the halls of the New Munich Trade Fair Centre, and is soon set to head off to sample the delights of this fine city's fabled Oktoberfest, which opens tomorrow.
While much is often made of the size of this four-yearly event (yes, it's very, very large – get over it), what has been most prevalent this week has been the air of optimism amongst the majority of exhibitors. “The current climate presents us with more opportunities than it does problems” is a mantra we've oft heard this week. These words have proved reassuring after the well-documented travails of many in the past year, and for that we shold all be hopeful.
Whilst this event does not provide quite as much colour as, say, the London International Wine Fair, this is the real grass roots of our industry, and a field without which none of us would be here. It is also clear that many of the attendees know how to have a good time just as much as those that work for the drinks producers.
With many stand parties in the halls going on in to the early hours of the mornings, this event is a test of both legs and livers. And ears, if rumours of a Bavarian folk band playing Status Quo covers until all hours are to be believed.
We've had a most productive time here, having met many new faces and made many new friends.
We'll see you all again in Munich in 2013.
Unless you're in a beer tent in central Munich tomorrow lunchtime.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends