Blog: Drinktec 2009 - kein' probleme
Olly Wehring | 18 September 2009
Our time here at this year's Drinktec exhibition is fast drawing to a close. just-drinks has spent the past week traipsing the halls of the New Munich Trade Fair Centre, and is soon set to head off to sample the delights of this fine city's fabled Oktoberfest, which opens tomorrow.
While much is often made of the size of this four-yearly event (yes, it's very, very large – get over it), what has been most prevalent this week has been the air of optimism amongst the majority of exhibitors. “The current climate presents us with more opportunities than it does problems” is a mantra we've oft heard this week. These words have proved reassuring after the well-documented travails of many in the past year, and for that we shold all be hopeful.
Whilst this event does not provide quite as much colour as, say, the London International Wine Fair, this is the real grass roots of our industry, and a field without which none of us would be here. It is also clear that many of the attendees know how to have a good time just as much as those that work for the drinks producers.
With many stand parties in the halls going on in to the early hours of the mornings, this event is a test of both legs and livers. And ears, if rumours of a Bavarian folk band playing Status Quo covers until all hours are to be believed.
We've had a most productive time here, having met many new faces and made many new friends.
We'll see you all again in Munich in 2013.
Unless you're in a beer tent in central Munich tomorrow lunchtime.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Analysis - SABMiller's LatAm aim? Drink more beer
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Pernod Ricard appoints Absolut Vodka VP
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- Beam Suntory to re-package Courvoisier Cognac
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beer, 2014 and the future