Blog: Drinktec 2009 - kein' probleme
Olly Wehring | 18 September 2009
Our time here at this year's Drinktec exhibition is fast drawing to a close. just-drinks has spent the past week traipsing the halls of the New Munich Trade Fair Centre, and is soon set to head off to sample the delights of this fine city's fabled Oktoberfest, which opens tomorrow.
While much is often made of the size of this four-yearly event (yes, it's very, very large – get over it), what has been most prevalent this week has been the air of optimism amongst the majority of exhibitors. “The current climate presents us with more opportunities than it does problems” is a mantra we've oft heard this week. These words have proved reassuring after the well-documented travails of many in the past year, and for that we shold all be hopeful.
Whilst this event does not provide quite as much colour as, say, the London International Wine Fair, this is the real grass roots of our industry, and a field without which none of us would be here. It is also clear that many of the attendees know how to have a good time just as much as those that work for the drinks producers.
With many stand parties in the halls going on in to the early hours of the mornings, this event is a test of both legs and livers. And ears, if rumours of a Bavarian folk band playing Status Quo covers until all hours are to be believed.
We've had a most productive time here, having met many new faces and made many new friends.
We'll see you all again in Munich in 2013.
Unless you're in a beer tent in central Munich tomorrow lunchtime.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China