Blog: Drinks news editor gets drinks out of order
Olly Wehring | 7 June 2007
A missive from our news editor, Jessica Harvey:
Yesterday afternoon (6 June), I was kindly invited to the terraces of The Houses of Parliament by The All Party Parliamentary Cider Group and The National Association of Cider Makers.
The line-up included Aspall Cyder, Aston Manor, Bulmer, Gaymer Cider Company, Green Valley Cyder, Merrydown Cider, Thatcher's Cider and Weston's. Big thanks to Roger Jackson from Weston's, who not only led me by the hand through a range of tastings, but also offered me an insight into the trade.
He said: “Shouldn't you be taking this down?”
I said: “I have a very good memory.”
He looked: afraid.
After gathering cards, getting invited to dinner by MPs and offered tours of New Scotland Yard by police officials, I kissed cheeks, donned headphones and jumped on the tube to my next port of call – The Century Club to meet Britvic (and my lovely editor) to drink wine and swap stories. Wine was followed by beer - I was very brave.
Now this much I know: Beer before wine, feeling fine. Wine before beer, feeling queer.
Cider then wine then beer?
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Global Travel Retail - What is the Grey Market?
- The European beer market - Focus
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Corporate Relations Director to leave Diageo
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Pernod Ricard pairs Usain Bolt with Mumm Champagne