Blog: Drinks news editor gets drinks out of order
Olly Wehring | 7 June 2007
A missive from our news editor, Jessica Harvey:
Yesterday afternoon (6 June), I was kindly invited to the terraces of The Houses of Parliament by The All Party Parliamentary Cider Group and The National Association of Cider Makers.
The line-up included Aspall Cyder, Aston Manor, Bulmer, Gaymer Cider Company, Green Valley Cyder, Merrydown Cider, Thatcher's Cider and Weston's. Big thanks to Roger Jackson from Weston's, who not only led me by the hand through a range of tastings, but also offered me an insight into the trade.
He said: “Shouldn't you be taking this down?”
I said: “I have a very good memory.”
He looked: afraid.
After gathering cards, getting invited to dinner by MPs and offered tours of New Scotland Yard by police officials, I kissed cheeks, donned headphones and jumped on the tube to my next port of call – The Century Club to meet Britvic (and my lovely editor) to drink wine and swap stories. Wine was followed by beer - I was very brave.
Now this much I know: Beer before wine, feeling fine. Wine before beer, feeling queer.
Cider then wine then beer?
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends