Blog: Drinks news editor gets drinks out of order
Olly Wehring | 7 June 2007
A missive from our news editor, Jessica Harvey:
Yesterday afternoon (6 June), I was kindly invited to the terraces of The Houses of Parliament by The All Party Parliamentary Cider Group and The National Association of Cider Makers.
The line-up included Aspall Cyder, Aston Manor, Bulmer, Gaymer Cider Company, Green Valley Cyder, Merrydown Cider, Thatcher's Cider and Weston's. Big thanks to Roger Jackson from Weston's, who not only led me by the hand through a range of tastings, but also offered me an insight into the trade.
He said: “Shouldn't you be taking this down?”
I said: “I have a very good memory.”
He looked: afraid.
After gathering cards, getting invited to dinner by MPs and offered tours of New Scotland Yard by police officials, I kissed cheeks, donned headphones and jumped on the tube to my next port of call – The Century Club to meet Britvic (and my lovely editor) to drink wine and swap stories. Wine was followed by beer - I was very brave.
Now this much I know: Beer before wine, feeling fine. Wine before beer, feeling queer.
Cider then wine then beer?
Heineken is gearing up for a product launch in Australia this month. But exactly what the product is, the brewer is not saying....
It's Summer in the northern hemisphere and the beer festivals are in full swing. Even the famously secluded North Korea is letting its regulation-cut hair down with the Taedonggang Beer Festival, name...
Drinks companies that use celebrities and influencers to endorse products via social media could be in line for some rule changes....
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- Work begins on Glasgow distillery
- This week in wine & spirits on just-drinks
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages