Blog: Drinks news editor gets drinks out of order
Olly Wehring | 7 June 2007
A missive from our news editor, Jessica Harvey:
Yesterday afternoon (6 June), I was kindly invited to the terraces of The Houses of Parliament by The All Party Parliamentary Cider Group and The National Association of Cider Makers.
The line-up included Aspall Cyder, Aston Manor, Bulmer, Gaymer Cider Company, Green Valley Cyder, Merrydown Cider, Thatcher's Cider and Weston's. Big thanks to Roger Jackson from Weston's, who not only led me by the hand through a range of tastings, but also offered me an insight into the trade.
He said: “Shouldn't you be taking this down?”
I said: “I have a very good memory.”
He looked: afraid.
After gathering cards, getting invited to dinner by MPs and offered tours of New Scotland Yard by police officials, I kissed cheeks, donned headphones and jumped on the tube to my next port of call – The Century Club to meet Britvic (and my lovely editor) to drink wine and swap stories. Wine was followed by beer - I was very brave.
Now this much I know: Beer before wine, feeling fine. Wine before beer, feeling queer.
Cider then wine then beer?
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018