Blog: Drinks news editor gets drinks out of order
Olly Wehring | 7 June 2007
A missive from our news editor, Jessica Harvey:
Yesterday afternoon (6 June), I was kindly invited to the terraces of The Houses of Parliament by The All Party Parliamentary Cider Group and The National Association of Cider Makers.
The line-up included Aspall Cyder, Aston Manor, Bulmer, Gaymer Cider Company, Green Valley Cyder, Merrydown Cider, Thatcher's Cider and Weston's. Big thanks to Roger Jackson from Weston's, who not only led me by the hand through a range of tastings, but also offered me an insight into the trade.
He said: “Shouldn't you be taking this down?”
I said: “I have a very good memory.”
He looked: afraid.
After gathering cards, getting invited to dinner by MPs and offered tours of New Scotland Yard by police officials, I kissed cheeks, donned headphones and jumped on the tube to my next port of call – The Century Club to meet Britvic (and my lovely editor) to drink wine and swap stories. Wine was followed by beer - I was very brave.
Now this much I know: Beer before wine, feeling fine. Wine before beer, feeling queer.
Cider then wine then beer?
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts