Blog: Drinks education under the austerity axe
Chris Mercer | 6 July 2010
The UK Government's commitment to education on responsible drinking should be questioned following a freeze on marketing spend.
The Coalition Government has scrapped plans to develop an iPhone app that helps people to monitor their drinking, according to an investigation by the BBC.
Several other apps have also been ditched in a freeze on advertising and marketing spend as part of the cash-strapped Government's austerity drive.
In the grand scheme of things, we are talking thousands rather than millions saved by scrapping the iPhone drinks app. Doesn't this send the wrong message about about education on responsible drinking?
On the other hand, you could argue that unit messages on bottles and the Drinkaware website provide enough opportunities for concerned drinkers to monitor their consumption.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research