Blog: Drinks acquisitions - the companies punching above their weight
Olly Wehring | 7 December 2006
Takeover speculation often centres on the larger firms - and bigger brands - in the drinks industry. Think of the rumours surrounding Rémy Cointreau, Whyte & Mackay and Absolut vodka - to name just a few.
But it’s important not to forget that, in a consolidating drinks industry, there are a number of aggressive and ambitious smaller players who are desperate to grow and are eyeing up potential targets week in, week out.
The Patrón Spirits Company - makers of the booming super-premium Tequila Patrón - recently told just-drinks that it is set to move into the vodka and gin categories.
And it was interesting to see Californian wine producer 360 Global Wine Co. announce yesterday (5 December) that it has made initial moves to secure an unnamed US-based wine and spirits group for US$25m.
360 Global, not necessarily one of the sector’s heavyweights, is keen to expand the reach of its flagship wine label Cucina Viansa across the US - and is ready to get out the chequebook to do so.
CEO Jake Shapiro told just-drinks: “360 Global Wine is by definition a growing company and we see growth through acquisitions as well as through organic development.”
Last week, Blavod Extreme Spirits said it has received an initial takeover approach from a company listed on the NASDAQ. The announcement from 360 Global, which has some of its shares listed on the NASDAQ, led to some in the industry adding two and two together.
Although Shapiro declined to name 360 Global’s target, he did say that the company is based in the US. Blavod, the producer of brands including Blavod black vodka and Players Extreme flavoured vodkas, is based in London.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research