Blog: Drinks acquisitions - the companies punching above their weight
Olly Wehring | 7 December 2006
Takeover speculation often centres on the larger firms - and bigger brands - in the drinks industry. Think of the rumours surrounding Rémy Cointreau, Whyte & Mackay and Absolut vodka - to name just a few.
But it’s important not to forget that, in a consolidating drinks industry, there are a number of aggressive and ambitious smaller players who are desperate to grow and are eyeing up potential targets week in, week out.
The Patrón Spirits Company - makers of the booming super-premium Tequila Patrón - recently told just-drinks that it is set to move into the vodka and gin categories.
And it was interesting to see Californian wine producer 360 Global Wine Co. announce yesterday (5 December) that it has made initial moves to secure an unnamed US-based wine and spirits group for US$25m.
360 Global, not necessarily one of the sector’s heavyweights, is keen to expand the reach of its flagship wine label Cucina Viansa across the US - and is ready to get out the chequebook to do so.
CEO Jake Shapiro told just-drinks: “360 Global Wine is by definition a growing company and we see growth through acquisitions as well as through organic development.”
Last week, Blavod Extreme Spirits said it has received an initial takeover approach from a company listed on the NASDAQ. The announcement from 360 Global, which has some of its shares listed on the NASDAQ, led to some in the industry adding two and two together.
Although Shapiro declined to name 360 Global’s target, he did say that the company is based in the US. Blavod, the producer of brands including Blavod black vodka and Players Extreme flavoured vodkas, is based in London.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research