Blog: Drinking in the UK - it just gets tougher
Olly Wehring | 30 May 2006
For many drinks companies, the UK is not only an exciting market to operate in, it’s also the most challenging and competitive. The power of the supermarkets, the sheer range of products available, the changing licensing laws - we’re nothing if not interesting, you must admit.
Two separate studies last week, however, suggest, that things could get that much tougher over here. While market analysts ACNielsen published figures highlighting a drop in wine sales for the two-month period to 22 April - the first time in over a decade that UK wine sales had fallen - another report showed that UK consumers were spending less on alcohol both in the on- and off-trade.
Throw in the introduction of legislation banning fizzy drinks in schools, and it begins to look as gloomy as our weather at the moment. It’s a cliché, I know, but the companies that will prosper in the UK going forward are the ones who turn these problems into opportunities. And round the corner is one of the best opportunities there is.
That’s right, the phenomenon that is the football World Cup is almost upon us, and every single drinks company on the planet will be hoping for a profitable four weeks starting on 9 June.
To get you into the swing of things, we’ve been running a members-only competition on the site to win two tickets to see England v Trinidad & Tobago play in Nuremberg on 15 June, courtesy of Budweiser, the tournament’s official beer.
The competition is still open, but not for much longer, so click here and answer one simple question. Who knows, it could be you heading to Germany.
As a postscript, a quick reminder to get your competition entries in quick. The draw will take place on Thursday (1 June) morning, so you have until midnight (GMT) to get your answers in.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Minimum unit pricing fails to get European backing
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review