Blog: Drinking in the New Year? Not me
Olly Wehring | 3 January 2008
Now that the festive period is out of the way, and you’ve had the chain by the side of your desk reattached, I’m guessing many of you are doing as I do, and are celebrating the start of another year with a one-month alcohol abstinence ‘detox’.
Three days in, and I already feel pretty good for it – especially after a LONG, alcohol-augmented December.
But word hits just-drinks Towers that laying off the stuff altogether might not be the way forward, especially as we get older.
A research paper by the Peninsula Medical School in Australia this week has concluded that regular drinking is actually good for the elderly. Now, whilst I don’t actually class myself as elderly (shut up, you), anything that claims drinking is good for you will always get my attention.
The report noted that men and women who drink moderately experience a “beneficial effect on cognitive and general health”.
“We are not advocating that elderly people go out and get ridiculously drunk,” report author Dr Iain Lang was cited as saying by local media. “[Just that] current guidelines on drinking for the elderly are too conservative. A couple of drinks a day will [be better] for health than abstinence.”
I’ll drop the detox if you will…
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Q2 drags on half-year for Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research