Blog: Drinking in the New Year? Not me
Olly Wehring | 3 January 2008
Now that the festive period is out of the way, and you’ve had the chain by the side of your desk reattached, I’m guessing many of you are doing as I do, and are celebrating the start of another year with a one-month alcohol abstinence ‘detox’.
Three days in, and I already feel pretty good for it – especially after a LONG, alcohol-augmented December.
But word hits just-drinks Towers that laying off the stuff altogether might not be the way forward, especially as we get older.
A research paper by the Peninsula Medical School in Australia this week has concluded that regular drinking is actually good for the elderly. Now, whilst I don’t actually class myself as elderly (shut up, you), anything that claims drinking is good for you will always get my attention.
The report noted that men and women who drink moderately experience a “beneficial effect on cognitive and general health”.
“We are not advocating that elderly people go out and get ridiculously drunk,” report author Dr Iain Lang was cited as saying by local media. “[Just that] current guidelines on drinking for the elderly are too conservative. A couple of drinks a day will [be better] for health than abstinence.”
I’ll drop the detox if you will…
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US