Blog: Drinking in the New Year? Not me
Olly Wehring | 3 January 2008
Now that the festive period is out of the way, and you’ve had the chain by the side of your desk reattached, I’m guessing many of you are doing as I do, and are celebrating the start of another year with a one-month alcohol abstinence ‘detox’.
Three days in, and I already feel pretty good for it – especially after a LONG, alcohol-augmented December.
But word hits just-drinks Towers that laying off the stuff altogether might not be the way forward, especially as we get older.
A research paper by the Peninsula Medical School in Australia this week has concluded that regular drinking is actually good for the elderly. Now, whilst I don’t actually class myself as elderly (shut up, you), anything that claims drinking is good for you will always get my attention.
The report noted that men and women who drink moderately experience a “beneficial effect on cognitive and general health”.
“We are not advocating that elderly people go out and get ridiculously drunk,” report author Dr Iain Lang was cited as saying by local media. “[Just that] current guidelines on drinking for the elderly are too conservative. A couple of drinks a day will [be better] for health than abstinence.”
I’ll drop the detox if you will…
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits