Blog: Drinking in the New Year? Not me
Olly Wehring | 3 January 2008
Now that the festive period is out of the way, and you’ve had the chain by the side of your desk reattached, I’m guessing many of you are doing as I do, and are celebrating the start of another year with a one-month alcohol abstinence ‘detox’.
Three days in, and I already feel pretty good for it – especially after a LONG, alcohol-augmented December.
But word hits just-drinks Towers that laying off the stuff altogether might not be the way forward, especially as we get older.
A research paper by the Peninsula Medical School in Australia this week has concluded that regular drinking is actually good for the elderly. Now, whilst I don’t actually class myself as elderly (shut up, you), anything that claims drinking is good for you will always get my attention.
The report noted that men and women who drink moderately experience a “beneficial effect on cognitive and general health”.
“We are not advocating that elderly people go out and get ridiculously drunk,” report author Dr Iain Lang was cited as saying by local media. “[Just that] current guidelines on drinking for the elderly are too conservative. A couple of drinks a day will [be better] for health than abstinence.”
I’ll drop the detox if you will…
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Global water targets risk hiding local concerns
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends