Blog: Drinking in the New Year? Not me
Olly Wehring | 3 January 2008
Now that the festive period is out of the way, and you’ve had the chain by the side of your desk reattached, I’m guessing many of you are doing as I do, and are celebrating the start of another year with a one-month alcohol abstinence ‘detox’.
Three days in, and I already feel pretty good for it – especially after a LONG, alcohol-augmented December.
But word hits just-drinks Towers that laying off the stuff altogether might not be the way forward, especially as we get older.
A research paper by the Peninsula Medical School in Australia this week has concluded that regular drinking is actually good for the elderly. Now, whilst I don’t actually class myself as elderly (shut up, you), anything that claims drinking is good for you will always get my attention.
The report noted that men and women who drink moderately experience a “beneficial effect on cognitive and general health”.
“We are not advocating that elderly people go out and get ridiculously drunk,” report author Dr Iain Lang was cited as saying by local media. “[Just that] current guidelines on drinking for the elderly are too conservative. A couple of drinks a day will [be better] for health than abstinence.”
I’ll drop the detox if you will…
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends