Blog: Drinking & Driving? Ford and Jose Cuervo's Tequila cars
Lucy Britner | 19 July 2016
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife.
While a six-pack holder might seem logical, how about a car made out of Tequila plants? Ford and Jose Cuervo have teamed up to see if the byproducts from processing agave plants can be used to develop bioplastics for cars.
Agave plants grow for around seven years before being harvested for Tequila production. The heart of the plant is roasted, mashed up and used for distillation. Jose Cuervo uses a portion of the remaining agave fibres as compost for its farms, while agave paper can be made from the remnants.
Now, as part of the distiller's sustainability plan, Jose Cuervo and Ford are looking to develop a new way to use remnant fibres. Reports so far suggest agave "holds great promise". The automaker already uses eight sustainable-based materials in its vehicles including soy foam, castor oil, wheat straw, kenaf fibre, cellulose, wood, coconut fibre and rice hulls.
Apparently, there are 400lbs of plastic in a typical car, so drink up.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends