Blog: Drinking age compromise deal for Scotland?
Olly Wehring | 24 September 2008
just-drinks, with its finely tuned ear firmly to the ground, hears there is talk of a compromise deal on legislation to raise the legal drinking age in Scotland.
A petition presented to Scottish MPs yesterday (23 September), and signed by 10,000 people, underlined the opposition that the ruling Scottish National Party faces in trying to ban under-21s from buying alcohol in shops.
In Parliament, Conservatives and Liberals say they are against. Labour has also, albeit more hesitantly, made it known that it is largely against the idea.
It is now thought that the SNP may attempt to side-step opponents by enshrining local authorities across Scotland with the power to make their own minds up on a ban.
It is rumoured that Labour, the second-largest party, would be prepared to back this kind of piecemeal legislation. cm.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends