Blog: Drinking age compromise deal for Scotland?
Olly Wehring | 24 September 2008
just-drinks, with its finely tuned ear firmly to the ground, hears there is talk of a compromise deal on legislation to raise the legal drinking age in Scotland.
A petition presented to Scottish MPs yesterday (23 September), and signed by 10,000 people, underlined the opposition that the ruling Scottish National Party faces in trying to ban under-21s from buying alcohol in shops.
In Parliament, Conservatives and Liberals say they are against. Labour has also, albeit more hesitantly, made it known that it is largely against the idea.
It is now thought that the SNP may attempt to side-step opponents by enshrining local authorities across Scotland with the power to make their own minds up on a ban.
It is rumoured that Labour, the second-largest party, would be prepared to back this kind of piecemeal legislation. cm.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits