Blog: Drink if you're winning. You only drink if you're winning.
Olly Wehring | 14 June 2006
I know, I know – not another World Cup-related blog? I apologise, but when one puts as much effort into watching as much of the tournament as I do (look, darling, it’s just for four weeks every four years), you understand how I have little else to write about.
England’s second game tomorrow (15 June) sees them come up against the underdogs of Trinidad & Tobago, a team who are just happy to be at the finals.
Angostura Rum, meanwhile, has served up an incentive that could see the ‘Soca Warriors’ put up quite a fight against, Beckham, Owen et al. Trinidad & Tobago’s 23 players and coach will each receive a barrel of Angostura’s most historic rum if they win.
The rum was laid down for maturation in Trinidadian warehouses on 31 August 2002 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of independence from the UK. Angostura had earmarked the rum for an extra special occasion, and chairman Lawrence Duprey has declared that rewarding the players for a win against their former colonial rulers would be a fitting use. He will also present a barrel and honorary keys to the distillery, allowing visitation access at any time, to Leo Beenhakker if the coach can lead the team to victory.
“We hope the barrel bonus will act as an extra incentive for the players as there are few Trinidadians that don’t like a drop of rum and these casks hold the best in the world,” said Angostura’s marketing manager Nigel Bissoon.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report