Blog: Drink if you're winning. You only drink if you're winning.
Olly Wehring | 14 June 2006
I know, I know – not another World Cup-related blog? I apologise, but when one puts as much effort into watching as much of the tournament as I do (look, darling, it’s just for four weeks every four years), you understand how I have little else to write about.
England’s second game tomorrow (15 June) sees them come up against the underdogs of Trinidad & Tobago, a team who are just happy to be at the finals.
Angostura Rum, meanwhile, has served up an incentive that could see the ‘Soca Warriors’ put up quite a fight against, Beckham, Owen et al. Trinidad & Tobago’s 23 players and coach will each receive a barrel of Angostura’s most historic rum if they win.
The rum was laid down for maturation in Trinidadian warehouses on 31 August 2002 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of independence from the UK. Angostura had earmarked the rum for an extra special occasion, and chairman Lawrence Duprey has declared that rewarding the players for a win against their former colonial rulers would be a fitting use. He will also present a barrel and honorary keys to the distillery, allowing visitation access at any time, to Leo Beenhakker if the coach can lead the team to victory.
“We hope the barrel bonus will act as an extra incentive for the players as there are few Trinidadians that don’t like a drop of rum and these casks hold the best in the world,” said Angostura’s marketing manager Nigel Bissoon.
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review