Blog: Drink if you're winning. You only drink if you're winning.
Olly Wehring | 14 June 2006
I know, I know – not another World Cup-related blog? I apologise, but when one puts as much effort into watching as much of the tournament as I do (look, darling, it’s just for four weeks every four years), you understand how I have little else to write about.
England’s second game tomorrow (15 June) sees them come up against the underdogs of Trinidad & Tobago, a team who are just happy to be at the finals.
Angostura Rum, meanwhile, has served up an incentive that could see the ‘Soca Warriors’ put up quite a fight against, Beckham, Owen et al. Trinidad & Tobago’s 23 players and coach will each receive a barrel of Angostura’s most historic rum if they win.
The rum was laid down for maturation in Trinidadian warehouses on 31 August 2002 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of independence from the UK. Angostura had earmarked the rum for an extra special occasion, and chairman Lawrence Duprey has declared that rewarding the players for a win against their former colonial rulers would be a fitting use. He will also present a barrel and honorary keys to the distillery, allowing visitation access at any time, to Leo Beenhakker if the coach can lead the team to victory.
“We hope the barrel bonus will act as an extra incentive for the players as there are few Trinidadians that don’t like a drop of rum and these casks hold the best in the world,” said Angostura’s marketing manager Nigel Bissoon.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research