Blog: Dr Pepper turns 125
Chris Mercer | 1 December 2010
Dr Pepper celebrates birthday with a deep-fried cake
People have been pondering on the make-up of Dr Pepper for 125 years.
Today (1 December) marks 125 years since the first time Dr Pepper was served at Morrison's Old Corner Drug Store in Waco, Texas, as recognised in documents filed in the US Patent and Trademark Office.
We are not that much closer to understanding the drink's curious constitution (remember, it's not a cola). But, its unique positioning and a series of quirky advertising campaigns have seen Dr Pepper become one of the best-known soft drinks brands, not to mention a bit of a cult classic in the beverage world.
In typically off-the-wall fashion, Dr Pepper Snapple Group celebrated the landmark today with a deep-fried cake. Abel Gonzales, who holds the dubious title of 'king of the deep fryer', put his skills to use by personally frying up the winning entry of the annual Dr Pepper cake competition at the State Fair of Texas.
Here's to another 125 years. What's the worst that could happen?
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends