Blog: Dr Pepper turns 125
Chris Mercer | 1 December 2010
Dr Pepper celebrates birthday with a deep-fried cake
People have been pondering on the make-up of Dr Pepper for 125 years.
Today (1 December) marks 125 years since the first time Dr Pepper was served at Morrison's Old Corner Drug Store in Waco, Texas, as recognised in documents filed in the US Patent and Trademark Office.
We are not that much closer to understanding the drink's curious constitution (remember, it's not a cola). But, its unique positioning and a series of quirky advertising campaigns have seen Dr Pepper become one of the best-known soft drinks brands, not to mention a bit of a cult classic in the beverage world.
In typically off-the-wall fashion, Dr Pepper Snapple Group celebrated the landmark today with a deep-fried cake. Abel Gonzales, who holds the dubious title of 'king of the deep fryer', put his skills to use by personally frying up the winning entry of the annual Dr Pepper cake competition at the State Fair of Texas.
Here's to another 125 years. What's the worst that could happen?
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Coca-Cola Life, Australian Vintage, Pernod Ricard and BrewDog....
Beer consumption in Germany - already pretty impressive - will undoubtedly have enjoyed a spike following celebrations over the nation's FIFA World Cup win. ...
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- PepsiCo to consider more re-franchising - CEO
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Alcohol retailer group appoints new chairman