Blog: Dr Pepper turns 125
Chris Mercer | 1 December 2010
Dr Pepper celebrates birthday with a deep-fried cake
People have been pondering on the make-up of Dr Pepper for 125 years.
Today (1 December) marks 125 years since the first time Dr Pepper was served at Morrison's Old Corner Drug Store in Waco, Texas, as recognised in documents filed in the US Patent and Trademark Office.
We are not that much closer to understanding the drink's curious constitution (remember, it's not a cola). But, its unique positioning and a series of quirky advertising campaigns have seen Dr Pepper become one of the best-known soft drinks brands, not to mention a bit of a cult classic in the beverage world.
In typically off-the-wall fashion, Dr Pepper Snapple Group celebrated the landmark today with a deep-fried cake. Abel Gonzales, who holds the dubious title of 'king of the deep fryer', put his skills to use by personally frying up the winning entry of the annual Dr Pepper cake competition at the State Fair of Texas.
Here's to another 125 years. What's the worst that could happen?
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China