Blog: Dr Pepper turns 125
Chris Mercer | 1 December 2010
Dr Pepper celebrates birthday with a deep-fried cake
People have been pondering on the make-up of Dr Pepper for 125 years.
Today (1 December) marks 125 years since the first time Dr Pepper was served at Morrison's Old Corner Drug Store in Waco, Texas, as recognised in documents filed in the US Patent and Trademark Office.
We are not that much closer to understanding the drink's curious constitution (remember, it's not a cola). But, its unique positioning and a series of quirky advertising campaigns have seen Dr Pepper become one of the best-known soft drinks brands, not to mention a bit of a cult classic in the beverage world.
In typically off-the-wall fashion, Dr Pepper Snapple Group celebrated the landmark today with a deep-fried cake. Abel Gonzales, who holds the dubious title of 'king of the deep fryer', put his skills to use by personally frying up the winning entry of the annual Dr Pepper cake competition at the State Fair of Texas.
Here's to another 125 years. What's the worst that could happen?
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
The US state of Arkansas goes to the polls on 4 November to decide whether to end so-called “dry” counties, meaning ones that don't allow any alcohol sales. About half of the state's 75 counties are a...
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- Can the New World Learn a Lesson from the Old?
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014
- SABMiller, Heineken silent on takeover offer talk