Blog: Dr Pepper turns 125
Chris Mercer | 1 December 2010
Dr Pepper celebrates birthday with a deep-fried cake
People have been pondering on the make-up of Dr Pepper for 125 years.
Today (1 December) marks 125 years since the first time Dr Pepper was served at Morrison's Old Corner Drug Store in Waco, Texas, as recognised in documents filed in the US Patent and Trademark Office.
We are not that much closer to understanding the drink's curious constitution (remember, it's not a cola). But, its unique positioning and a series of quirky advertising campaigns have seen Dr Pepper become one of the best-known soft drinks brands, not to mention a bit of a cult classic in the beverage world.
In typically off-the-wall fashion, Dr Pepper Snapple Group celebrated the landmark today with a deep-fried cake. Abel Gonzales, who holds the dubious title of 'king of the deep fryer', put his skills to use by personally frying up the winning entry of the annual Dr Pepper cake competition at the State Fair of Texas.
Here's to another 125 years. What's the worst that could happen?
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015