Blog: Dr Pepper - have spade.. will dig up American heroes?
Olly Wehring | 26 February 2007
A treasure hunt organised by Dr Pepper in the US has dug up a right old storm.
The promotional campaign, created by the drink’s UK-based owner Cadbury Schweppes, encouraged consumers to locate gold coins in 23 US cities for cash rewards.
The hunt taking place in the north-east city of Boston gave clues leading consumers to the Granary Burying Ground, home to a handful of famous US names such as Paul Revere, Samuel Adams and John Hancock. The arrival of crowds hunting for the gold coin led to the closure of the cemetery and a potential PR wrist-slap for the company.
“It was not an appropriate place to bury a coin,” a spokesperson for Cadbury Schweppes told the Independent newspaper. “It was poor judgement and we have apologised to the authorities. No damage was done to any of the graves.”
One question - are consumers really that stupid that they’d start digging up coffins to find this coin?
But then, I suppose keeping the coin away from things that are best left six feet under might pre-empt the asking of such a question.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research