Blog: Dr Pepper - have spade.. will dig up American heroes?
Olly Wehring | 26 February 2007
A treasure hunt organised by Dr Pepper in the US has dug up a right old storm.
The promotional campaign, created by the drink’s UK-based owner Cadbury Schweppes, encouraged consumers to locate gold coins in 23 US cities for cash rewards.
The hunt taking place in the north-east city of Boston gave clues leading consumers to the Granary Burying Ground, home to a handful of famous US names such as Paul Revere, Samuel Adams and John Hancock. The arrival of crowds hunting for the gold coin led to the closure of the cemetery and a potential PR wrist-slap for the company.
“It was not an appropriate place to bury a coin,” a spokesperson for Cadbury Schweppes told the Independent newspaper. “It was poor judgement and we have apologised to the authorities. No damage was done to any of the graves.”
One question - are consumers really that stupid that they’d start digging up coffins to find this coin?
But then, I suppose keeping the coin away from things that are best left six feet under might pre-empt the asking of such a question.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research