Blog: Dr Pepper - have spade.. will dig up American heroes?
Olly Wehring | 26 February 2007
A treasure hunt organised by Dr Pepper in the US has dug up a right old storm.
The promotional campaign, created by the drink’s UK-based owner Cadbury Schweppes, encouraged consumers to locate gold coins in 23 US cities for cash rewards.
The hunt taking place in the north-east city of Boston gave clues leading consumers to the Granary Burying Ground, home to a handful of famous US names such as Paul Revere, Samuel Adams and John Hancock. The arrival of crowds hunting for the gold coin led to the closure of the cemetery and a potential PR wrist-slap for the company.
“It was not an appropriate place to bury a coin,” a spokesperson for Cadbury Schweppes told the Independent newspaper. “It was poor judgement and we have apologised to the authorities. No damage was done to any of the graves.”
One question - are consumers really that stupid that they’d start digging up coffins to find this coin?
But then, I suppose keeping the coin away from things that are best left six feet under might pre-empt the asking of such a question.
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer