Blog: Dr Pepper - have spade.. will dig up American heroes?
Olly Wehring | 26 February 2007
A treasure hunt organised by Dr Pepper in the US has dug up a right old storm.
The promotional campaign, created by the drink’s UK-based owner Cadbury Schweppes, encouraged consumers to locate gold coins in 23 US cities for cash rewards.
The hunt taking place in the north-east city of Boston gave clues leading consumers to the Granary Burying Ground, home to a handful of famous US names such as Paul Revere, Samuel Adams and John Hancock. The arrival of crowds hunting for the gold coin led to the closure of the cemetery and a potential PR wrist-slap for the company.
“It was not an appropriate place to bury a coin,” a spokesperson for Cadbury Schweppes told the Independent newspaper. “It was poor judgement and we have apologised to the authorities. No damage was done to any of the graves.”
One question - are consumers really that stupid that they’d start digging up coffins to find this coin?
But then, I suppose keeping the coin away from things that are best left six feet under might pre-empt the asking of such a question.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends