Blog: Dr Pepper - have spade.. will dig up American heroes?
Olly Wehring | 26 February 2007
A treasure hunt organised by Dr Pepper in the US has dug up a right old storm.
The promotional campaign, created by the drink’s UK-based owner Cadbury Schweppes, encouraged consumers to locate gold coins in 23 US cities for cash rewards.
The hunt taking place in the north-east city of Boston gave clues leading consumers to the Granary Burying Ground, home to a handful of famous US names such as Paul Revere, Samuel Adams and John Hancock. The arrival of crowds hunting for the gold coin led to the closure of the cemetery and a potential PR wrist-slap for the company.
“It was not an appropriate place to bury a coin,” a spokesperson for Cadbury Schweppes told the Independent newspaper. “It was poor judgement and we have apologised to the authorities. No damage was done to any of the graves.”
One question - are consumers really that stupid that they’d start digging up coffins to find this coin?
But then, I suppose keeping the coin away from things that are best left six feet under might pre-empt the asking of such a question.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research