Blog: Downturn to give Cognac a breather?
Olly Wehring | 8 December 2008
Cognac has spent the last couple of years running to catch its tail, hardly able to turn the stuff out fast enough for its growing collective of consumers, from hip-hop stars to China's nouveau riche.
Could it be that the economic downturn will give Cognac a little space to breathe?
It's an unconventional idea, but one that holds some water for Courvoisier president and master distiller Jean-Marc Olivier.
Speaking to him at last week's party for the Courvoisier Future 500 club, he said that a serious global downturn could never be described as a good thing for Cognac. But, he said some parts of the industry may benefit from a slackening of demand.
Cyril Camus, CEO of Camus, another of the region's five biggest producers, said a year ago that continued rapid growth for Cognac would lead to shortages in the near future.
A slight drop in sales may, therefore, help to replenish stocks. Every cloud...
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research