Blog: Downturn to give Cognac a breather?
Olly Wehring | 8 December 2008
Cognac has spent the last couple of years running to catch its tail, hardly able to turn the stuff out fast enough for its growing collective of consumers, from hip-hop stars to China's nouveau riche.
Could it be that the economic downturn will give Cognac a little space to breathe?
It's an unconventional idea, but one that holds some water for Courvoisier president and master distiller Jean-Marc Olivier.
Speaking to him at last week's party for the Courvoisier Future 500 club, he said that a serious global downturn could never be described as a good thing for Cognac. But, he said some parts of the industry may benefit from a slackening of demand.
Cyril Camus, CEO of Camus, another of the region's five biggest producers, said a year ago that continued rapid growth for Cognac would lead to shortages in the near future.
A slight drop in sales may, therefore, help to replenish stocks. Every cloud...
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends