Blog: Downturn to give Cognac a breather?
Olly Wehring | 8 December 2008
Cognac has spent the last couple of years running to catch its tail, hardly able to turn the stuff out fast enough for its growing collective of consumers, from hip-hop stars to China's nouveau riche.
Could it be that the economic downturn will give Cognac a little space to breathe?
It's an unconventional idea, but one that holds some water for Courvoisier president and master distiller Jean-Marc Olivier.
Speaking to him at last week's party for the Courvoisier Future 500 club, he said that a serious global downturn could never be described as a good thing for Cognac. But, he said some parts of the industry may benefit from a slackening of demand.
Cyril Camus, CEO of Camus, another of the region's five biggest producers, said a year ago that continued rapid growth for Cognac would lead to shortages in the near future.
A slight drop in sales may, therefore, help to replenish stocks. Every cloud...
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Altria raises Anheuser-Busch InBev holding
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends