Blog: Doing a Stella...
Olly Wehring | 3 December 2008
You know you're in a bad place when your name becomes the central facet of a derisory catchphrase.
And so it is with Stella Artois in the UK. The brand has already had to contend with the nickname "wife beater", but the lager's decline in popularity in recent years appears to have given rise to the notion of "doing a Stella".
In short, no one wants to "do a Stella", according to the major brewer that introduced the phrase to just-drinks.
It said that imported beers in the UK need to guard against an erosion of their image and premium identity, referring to Stella as an example of how things can go pear-shaped.
Still, at least InBev UK is trying to get things back on track. Earlier this week, the unit said that it has narrowed its lager offering in the UK, dropping Eiken Artois and Peeterman Artois, "in order to focus support and investment" on its flagship Stella Artois brand. It also says Stella 4% is bigger in the off-trade than Heineken.
How unsporting of InBev to try and spoil everyone's fun.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends