Blog: Doing a Stella...
Olly Wehring | 3 December 2008
You know you're in a bad place when your name becomes the central facet of a derisory catchphrase.
And so it is with Stella Artois in the UK. The brand has already had to contend with the nickname "wife beater", but the lager's decline in popularity in recent years appears to have given rise to the notion of "doing a Stella".
In short, no one wants to "do a Stella", according to the major brewer that introduced the phrase to just-drinks.
It said that imported beers in the UK need to guard against an erosion of their image and premium identity, referring to Stella as an example of how things can go pear-shaped.
Still, at least InBev UK is trying to get things back on track. Earlier this week, the unit said that it has narrowed its lager offering in the UK, dropping Eiken Artois and Peeterman Artois, "in order to focus support and investment" on its flagship Stella Artois brand. It also says Stella 4% is bigger in the off-trade than Heineken.
How unsporting of InBev to try and spoil everyone's fun.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research