Blog: Does Oscar glory beckon for 'Mr Heineken'?
Andy Morton | 23 February 2015
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role. For last night's ceremony, Diageo was the official spirits sponsor of the after-show party while Piper-Heidsieck made sure its Champagnes received their share of the stardust.
Next year, though, Heineken may well find itself centre stage. 'Kidnapping Mr Heineken' is the story of how Freddy Heineken, the Dutch brewer's CEO from 1971 to 1989, was taken hostage and ransomed for an attempted NLG35m (about EUR16m). The film, which is due out in the US next month, stars Anthony Hopkins as Freddy Heineken. As Hopkins already has one of those famous gold statues, who's to say his latest role won't land him another?
The trailer for the movie was released last month, so you can judge for yourself if he stands a chance.
In the US, carbonated water has become a non-alcoholic beverage star, as consumers choose sparkling waters and seltzers instead of carbonated soft drinks to cut calorie and sugar consumption. The same...
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Pernod Ricard's Chivas Brothers division has added a new expression to its Scapa single malt Scotch whisky portfolio....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends