Blog: Does NICE know the EU?
Chris Mercer | 3 June 2010
Alcohol guidelines from the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence betray naiviety of Europe's bureaucratic rabbit warren.
Among its recommendations on alcohol pricing, NICE yesterday suggested that one way to sort out alcohol harm would be to "consider initiating a review of the excise duty regime with fellow EU member states".
It added: "The aim would be to obtain a pan-EU agreement on harmonisation which links alcohol duty to the strength of each product."
So that's it, then. All we have to do is whip Europe into shape.
All we have to do is get all 27 EU Member States to agree on duty tax rates, something they've failed to do throughout the existence of the bloc and have held intermittent discussions on since the early 1990s. Oh, hang on...
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends