Blog: Does NICE know the EU?
Chris Mercer | 3 June 2010
Alcohol guidelines from the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence betray naiviety of Europe's bureaucratic rabbit warren.
Among its recommendations on alcohol pricing, NICE yesterday suggested that one way to sort out alcohol harm would be to "consider initiating a review of the excise duty regime with fellow EU member states".
It added: "The aim would be to obtain a pan-EU agreement on harmonisation which links alcohol duty to the strength of each product."
So that's it, then. All we have to do is whip Europe into shape.
All we have to do is get all 27 EU Member States to agree on duty tax rates, something they've failed to do throughout the existence of the bloc and have held intermittent discussions on since the early 1990s. Oh, hang on...
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends