Blog: Divine intervention from the Maker for Beam Inc
Andy Morton | 12 February 2013
It was yesterday's big news – an almost unprecedented decision that shook an old and venerated institution to its core and shocked legions of faithful followers.
No, not the Pope resigning, but Beam Inc lowering the abv of Maker's Mark by 3%.
The Vatican's HR issues may have diluted the global coverage of “Kentuckygate”, as I think it ought to be called, but there was still plenty of invective on Twitter from Bourbon drinkers who want Beam's management to follow Pope Benedict XVI down to the employment office.
“I'm still processing Maker's Mark treachery on a lizard-brain, instinctual level,” drinks magazine Modern Drunkard tweeted, while cooler heads at The Atlantic magazine branded it "a risky move".
just-drinks editor Olly Wehring believes watering-down Maker's Mark is not quite the iconoclastic swipe against all that is holy some would have us believe, and was done at the alter of expediency rather than Mammon. You can read his thoughts here.
There might be another angle to this, though. Maker's Mark is by far more popular in the US than anywhere else. But, could Beam be about to launch a brand push to the rest of the world, where people care less about Maker's Mark's traditional alcohol profile? After all, 42% brings it closer in line with other international spirits and more likely to turn a profit in Bangalore and Bangkok.
And, surely that is something every Beam exec prays for.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages