Blog: Diet Coke decline leaves Pepsi sitting pretty
Andy Morton | 27 March 2015
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co.
So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US.
According to the Wall Street Journal, citing industry data, PepsiCo's full-calorie Pepsi took an 8.8% share of the market in 2014 compared to 8.5% for Diet Coke.
What will trouble both companies, however, is that Pepsi overtook Diet Coke only because it lost less volume that Coca-Cola's zero-calorie beverage (Pepsi down 1.8% in volumes and Diet Coke down 6.6%).
Brand Coca-Cola, meanwhile, remains the top soda with a 17.6% share. The good news for Coca-Cola is that its flagship brand increased share, while volumes were flat.
Sectors: Soft drinks
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends