Blog: Diet Coke decline leaves Pepsi sitting pretty
Andy Morton | 27 March 2015
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co.
So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US.
According to the Wall Street Journal, citing industry data, PepsiCo's full-calorie Pepsi took an 8.8% share of the market in 2014 compared to 8.5% for Diet Coke.
What will trouble both companies, however, is that Pepsi overtook Diet Coke only because it lost less volume that Coca-Cola's zero-calorie beverage (Pepsi down 1.8% in volumes and Diet Coke down 6.6%).
Brand Coca-Cola, meanwhile, remains the top soda with a 17.6% share. The good news for Coca-Cola is that its flagship brand increased share, while volumes were flat.
Sectors: Soft drinks
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research