Blog: Diet Coke decline leaves Pepsi sitting pretty
Andy Morton | 27 March 2015
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co.
So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US.
According to the Wall Street Journal, citing industry data, PepsiCo's full-calorie Pepsi took an 8.8% share of the market in 2014 compared to 8.5% for Diet Coke.
What will trouble both companies, however, is that Pepsi overtook Diet Coke only because it lost less volume that Coca-Cola's zero-calorie beverage (Pepsi down 1.8% in volumes and Diet Coke down 6.6%).
Brand Coca-Cola, meanwhile, remains the top soda with a 17.6% share. The good news for Coca-Cola is that its flagship brand increased share, while volumes were flat.
Sectors: Soft drinks
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends