Blog: Diet Coke decline leaves Pepsi sitting pretty
Andy Morton | 27 March 2015
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co.
So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US.
According to the Wall Street Journal, citing industry data, PepsiCo's full-calorie Pepsi took an 8.8% share of the market in 2014 compared to 8.5% for Diet Coke.
What will trouble both companies, however, is that Pepsi overtook Diet Coke only because it lost less volume that Coca-Cola's zero-calorie beverage (Pepsi down 1.8% in volumes and Diet Coke down 6.6%).
Brand Coca-Cola, meanwhile, remains the top soda with a 17.6% share. The good news for Coca-Cola is that its flagship brand increased share, while volumes were flat.
Sectors: Soft drinks
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery