Blog: Diet Coke decline leaves Pepsi sitting pretty
Andy Morton | 27 March 2015
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co.
So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US.
According to the Wall Street Journal, citing industry data, PepsiCo's full-calorie Pepsi took an 8.8% share of the market in 2014 compared to 8.5% for Diet Coke.
What will trouble both companies, however, is that Pepsi overtook Diet Coke only because it lost less volume that Coca-Cola's zero-calorie beverage (Pepsi down 1.8% in volumes and Diet Coke down 6.6%).
Brand Coca-Cola, meanwhile, remains the top soda with a 17.6% share. The good news for Coca-Cola is that its flagship brand increased share, while volumes were flat.
Sectors: Soft drinks
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
It is ironic that one of the newest beverage ingredient trends is linked to one of the oldest ingredients in traditional south Asian medicine. Ashwagandha has been a prized ingredient in Ayurvedic med...
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Earlier today, The Coca-Cola Co reported its first-quarter results, with organic sales and volumes growth both flat in the period. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's performance by...
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World