Blog: Diddy shows he's a Diageo man with prod at Patron
James Wilmore | 19 November 2014
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila.
Combs, who agreed a JV deal with Diageo in January to acquire DeLeón, last week posted some disparaging content on his Instagram feed about Patron. In one image, Combs is pictured holding a shovel above an agave plant, with the caption: "Let's have a moment of silence for Mr. Pat Ron. Even though he was a lovely guy... HIS TIME IS UP!!!"
A similar image used the caption: “Dear Mr. Pat Ron . . . Your services will NO LONGER BE NEEDED!”
Times have changed. Combs once name-checked Patron in a verse he sang on Notorious B.I.G.’s song “Nasty Girl”. He also once posted a photo of himself receiving a bottle of the high-end Tequila from the brand's founder John Paul DeJoria, according to the website pagesix.com.
Clearly the time is right for Mr Combs to distance himself from his former favourite.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
Edrington is to release a 40-year-old expression of its The Macallan Highland single malt Scotch whisky....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- A Keeper of the Quaich writes - Editor's Viewpoint
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends