Blog: Diddy shows he's a Diageo man with prod at Patron
James Wilmore | 19 November 2014
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila.
Combs, who agreed a JV deal with Diageo in January to acquire DeLeón, last week posted some disparaging content on his Instagram feed about Patron. In one image, Combs is pictured holding a shovel above an agave plant, with the caption: "Let's have a moment of silence for Mr. Pat Ron. Even though he was a lovely guy... HIS TIME IS UP!!!"
A similar image used the caption: “Dear Mr. Pat Ron . . . Your services will NO LONGER BE NEEDED!”
Times have changed. Combs once name-checked Patron in a verse he sang on Notorious B.I.G.’s song “Nasty Girl”. He also once posted a photo of himself receiving a bottle of the high-end Tequila from the brand's founder John Paul DeJoria, according to the website pagesix.com.
Clearly the time is right for Mr Combs to distance himself from his former favourite.
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Moet Hennessy's Glenmorangie Co has unveiled the oldest iteration of its namesake single malt Scotch whisky brand....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research