Blog: Did Cerberus Capital bid for Foster's Group wine?
Chris Mercer | 8 September 2010
US private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management has been touted as the mystery bidder for Foster's Group's wine arm, Treasury Wine Estates.
A report posted on the Wall Street Journal website today (8 September) names Cerberus Capital as the likely source of the AUD2.7bn bid for Treasury Wine Estates. The report did not cite sources.
Foster's has rejected the bid, as I'm sure you'll be aware, although the group could certainly play the development to its advantage.
Cerberus Capital was unable to immediately comment when contacted by just-drinks today. The move would mark a significant detour for a private equity company that has thus far made its name in transport-related acquisitions covering aviation and Chrysler cars.
In terms of food and drink, the group's only real claim to fame is as a franchisee of Burger King and owner of convenience stores in the UK and US.
Not that Foster's would have necessarily minded. Any interest in Treasury Wine Estates will further its cause.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends