Blog: Did Cerberus Capital bid for Foster's Group wine?
Chris Mercer | 8 September 2010
US private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management has been touted as the mystery bidder for Foster's Group's wine arm, Treasury Wine Estates.
A report posted on the Wall Street Journal website today (8 September) names Cerberus Capital as the likely source of the AUD2.7bn bid for Treasury Wine Estates. The report did not cite sources.
Foster's has rejected the bid, as I'm sure you'll be aware, although the group could certainly play the development to its advantage.
Cerberus Capital was unable to immediately comment when contacted by just-drinks today. The move would mark a significant detour for a private equity company that has thus far made its name in transport-related acquisitions covering aviation and Chrysler cars.
In terms of food and drink, the group's only real claim to fame is as a franchisee of Burger King and owner of convenience stores in the UK and US.
Not that Foster's would have necessarily minded. Any interest in Treasury Wine Estates will further its cause.
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
PepsiCo created a stir last week with the news it is testing a product called Caleb's Kola, with some in the media claiming it was the beginning of a new “craft soda” category....
SABMiller's bid to widen the appeal of beer is very much in evidence at its latest 'House of Peroni' - with beer cocktails and a bigger bottle for the Italian lager brand on offer. ...
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo, SABMiller, the Scotch whisky category and the US wine market....
- Analysis - Remy's Cognac "dead-cat bounce"
- Comment - How Hand-Made is Tito's Handmade Vodka?
- Heineken to stay "active player" in beer M&A - CFO
- Diageo's future brighter than present suggests
- Diageo's Q1 Results by Region
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- United Spirits sees Q1 net loss
- Beam Suntory, Edrington part ways in Travel Retail
- Diageo puts Beckham centre stage in Haig Club ad
- Smirnoff Ice gets India launch