Blog: Did Cerberus Capital bid for Foster's Group wine?
Chris Mercer | 8 September 2010
US private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management has been touted as the mystery bidder for Foster's Group's wine arm, Treasury Wine Estates.
A report posted on the Wall Street Journal website today (8 September) names Cerberus Capital as the likely source of the AUD2.7bn bid for Treasury Wine Estates. The report did not cite sources.
Foster's has rejected the bid, as I'm sure you'll be aware, although the group could certainly play the development to its advantage.
Cerberus Capital was unable to immediately comment when contacted by just-drinks today. The move would mark a significant detour for a private equity company that has thus far made its name in transport-related acquisitions covering aviation and Chrysler cars.
In terms of food and drink, the group's only real claim to fame is as a franchisee of Burger King and owner of convenience stores in the UK and US.
Not that Foster's would have necessarily minded. Any interest in Treasury Wine Estates will further its cause.
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer