Blog: Did Cerberus Capital bid for Foster's Group wine?
Chris Mercer | 8 September 2010
US private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management has been touted as the mystery bidder for Foster's Group's wine arm, Treasury Wine Estates.
A report posted on the Wall Street Journal website today (8 September) names Cerberus Capital as the likely source of the AUD2.7bn bid for Treasury Wine Estates. The report did not cite sources.
Foster's has rejected the bid, as I'm sure you'll be aware, although the group could certainly play the development to its advantage.
Cerberus Capital was unable to immediately comment when contacted by just-drinks today. The move would mark a significant detour for a private equity company that has thus far made its name in transport-related acquisitions covering aviation and Chrysler cars.
In terms of food and drink, the group's only real claim to fame is as a franchisee of Burger King and owner of convenience stores in the UK and US.
Not that Foster's would have necessarily minded. Any interest in Treasury Wine Estates will further its cause.
Heineken is gearing up for a product launch in Australia this month. But exactly what the product is, the brewer is not saying....
It's Summer in the northern hemisphere and the beer festivals are in full swing. Even the famously secluded North Korea is letting its regulation-cut hair down with the Taedonggang Beer Festival, name...
Drinks companies that use celebrities and influencers to endorse products via social media could be in line for some rule changes....
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages