Blog: Diageo - watering down the Guinness
Olly Wehring | 14 May 2007
A hearty thanks goes out to Diageo for taking me as their guest to Twickenham last Saturday (12 May) for the final of the Guinness Premiership rugby. By their own admission, the advertising in the hospitality suite wasn’t exactly discreet, but the looping of the TV ads stopped long enough for some entertaining banter from Austin Healy and World Cup winner Will Greenwood.
As usual, Diageo was at great pains to highlight its attempts to encourage responsible drinking among the notoriously heavy drinking rugby fraternity. What impressed me most was the availability of a free bottle of still water for every punter leaving the ground after the game (mineral water companies, take note – what a great tie-in this would be).
Naturally, I had to take a couple. It had been a very long day.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020