Blog: Diageo to press ahead in Scotland?
Olly Wehring | 1 September 2009
Last week has helped to put a little more clarity and context around Diageo's decision to reorganise in Scotland.
Scotch whisky has been one of Diageo's drinks categories worst affected by the economic slump, with like-for-like net sales of Johnnie Walker down 6% (volumes fell 11%) and J&B down 12% for the year to the end of June.
At the same time, the drinks giant's pre-tax profits slipped to GBP2bn, from GBP2.1bn a year earlier - although the firm's detractors pointed out that profits of GB2bn does not necessarily dictate that job cuts are necessary.
Then, in an exclusive interview with just-drinks, Diageo CEO Paul Walsh said he expected "eyes will be rolled" at any alternative restructuring plan put to the group. Current alternatives on the table, just-drinks understands, involve the use of public money to prevent Diageo exiting Kilmarnock, but Walsh has said unequivocally that the company does not want handouts.
Despite ratcheting up the pressure, it would be a surprise if the opposition 'Taskforce' persuaded Diageo to back down on this one. More likely, and this is speculation, the plans will go ahead and there will be some kind of Diageo offering to Kilmarnock - a Johnnie Walker museum, for example.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits