Blog: Diageo takes a tumble
Olly Wehring | 14 October 2009
Shares in Diageo had dipped by nearly 3% on the London Stock Exchange by early this afternoon, following the drinks giant's trading update.
Shares slipped after Diageo said like-for-like net sales were down 6% in the first quarter of its fiscal year.
Despite a strong comparative quarter last year, the performance was worse than expected by several analysts.
Analyst group Sanford C Bernstein said in a note today: "This compares to SCBe and consensus estimates of -3%. This is significantly worse than the implied organic growth rate of -1% in Q4 FY09."
Shares in the group were down 1.5% on the New York Stock Exchange this afternoon.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World