Blog: Diageo takes a tumble
Olly Wehring | 14 October 2009
Shares in Diageo had dipped by nearly 3% on the London Stock Exchange by early this afternoon, following the drinks giant's trading update.
Shares slipped after Diageo said like-for-like net sales were down 6% in the first quarter of its fiscal year.
Despite a strong comparative quarter last year, the performance was worse than expected by several analysts.
Analyst group Sanford C Bernstein said in a note today: "This compares to SCBe and consensus estimates of -3%. This is significantly worse than the implied organic growth rate of -1% in Q4 FY09."
Shares in the group were down 1.5% on the New York Stock Exchange this afternoon.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends