Blog: Diageo saddles up White Horse for serendipitous Scotch ride
Andy Morton | 22 November 2013
One would never accuse Diageo of missing a trick, and the launch this week of a limited-edition expression from one of its lesser-known blended Scotch labels shows why.
White Horse may have been the preferred whisky of Jackie Gleason's legendary pool shark Fats Minnesota in “The Hustler” (thanks, Wikipedia), but it doesn't quite have the profile of other Diageo blended drams we could mention, especially in Asia.
Nevertheless, next year is the Year of the Horse in the Chinese lunar calendar, and some canny operator in the Diageo marketing team must have been wise to White Horse's auspicious potential. Before you can say “Asian whisky boom”, out pops White Horse Gold Edition 1890, soon to be available in Asia-Pacific Travel Retail, ready for a serendipitous sales bump from travelling Chinese consumers.
If the ploy works, soon all the other whisky makers will be digging through their portfolios in search of horse-related brands, not to mention sheep, cow, snake, tiger, rat, dragon, monkey...
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Oslo Handverksdestilleri (OHD) has launched Vidda Torr (dry) Gin, made using Norwegian botanicals....
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends