Blog: Diageo saddles up White Horse for serendipitous Scotch ride
Andy Morton | 22 November 2013
One would never accuse Diageo of missing a trick, and the launch this week of a limited-edition expression from one of its lesser-known blended Scotch labels shows why.
White Horse may have been the preferred whisky of Jackie Gleason's legendary pool shark Fats Minnesota in “The Hustler” (thanks, Wikipedia), but it doesn't quite have the profile of other Diageo blended drams we could mention, especially in Asia.
Nevertheless, next year is the Year of the Horse in the Chinese lunar calendar, and some canny operator in the Diageo marketing team must have been wise to White Horse's auspicious potential. Before you can say “Asian whisky boom”, out pops White Horse Gold Edition 1890, soon to be available in Asia-Pacific Travel Retail, ready for a serendipitous sales bump from travelling Chinese consumers.
If the ploy works, soon all the other whisky makers will be digging through their portfolios in search of horse-related brands, not to mention sheep, cow, snake, tiger, rat, dragon, monkey...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
Pernod Ricard has said its on-trade relaunch of the Beefeater Crown Jewel is a "thank you" to bartenders who lobbied the company for the 50% abv gin's return....
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Remy Cointreau's Bruichladdich Scotch whisky brand has released the latest iteration of its Octomore single malt. Available online from this week,...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Gruppo Campari's US arm Campari America has introduced a 70 proof version of its bitter artichoke liqueur Cynar. ...
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research