Blog: Diageo, Moet Hennessy deal rumours fizz, again
Chris Mercer | 18 October 2010
Diageo's long-fabled desire to buy Moet Hennessy is back in the rumour mill.
The Guinness brewer last week cheered analysts by reporting a buoyant first quarter of trading, while Moet Hennessy's parent group, LVMH, announced more strong Cognac sales in China and a rebound in Champagne sales.
Diageo is sitting on a mountain of cash - GBP2bn (US$3.09bn) at the end of its most recent fiscal year. It already owns 34% of Moet Hennessy and has a gaping hole in its portfolio for a leading Champagne and Cognac. Asia's thirst for Cognac has highlighted the disparity between Diageo's lack of activity in this area and the strong gains made by rival Pernod Ricard with Martell.
It has always been assumed that the stumbling block to a deal was LVMH chairman Bernard Arnault. There has not been a compelling case made for Arnault seeking a sale.
What potentially makes the rumours different this time around is that they coincide with speculation that LVMH is eyeing a bid for Hermès. LVMH might be tempted to sell Moet Hennessy to raise cash for Hermès, it is thought.
This may have the whiff of investment bankers touting for business, but the logic for a deal makes sense.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research