Blog: Diageo, Moet Hennessy deal rumours fizz, again
Chris Mercer | 18 October 2010
Diageo's long-fabled desire to buy Moet Hennessy is back in the rumour mill.
The Guinness brewer last week cheered analysts by reporting a buoyant first quarter of trading, while Moet Hennessy's parent group, LVMH, announced more strong Cognac sales in China and a rebound in Champagne sales.
Diageo is sitting on a mountain of cash - GBP2bn (US$3.09bn) at the end of its most recent fiscal year. It already owns 34% of Moet Hennessy and has a gaping hole in its portfolio for a leading Champagne and Cognac. Asia's thirst for Cognac has highlighted the disparity between Diageo's lack of activity in this area and the strong gains made by rival Pernod Ricard with Martell.
It has always been assumed that the stumbling block to a deal was LVMH chairman Bernard Arnault. There has not been a compelling case made for Arnault seeking a sale.
What potentially makes the rumours different this time around is that they coincide with speculation that LVMH is eyeing a bid for Hermès. LVMH might be tempted to sell Moet Hennessy to raise cash for Hermès, it is thought.
This may have the whiff of investment bankers touting for business, but the logic for a deal makes sense.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits