Blog: Diageo, Moet Hennessy deal rumours fizz, again
Chris Mercer | 18 October 2010
Diageo's long-fabled desire to buy Moet Hennessy is back in the rumour mill.
The Guinness brewer last week cheered analysts by reporting a buoyant first quarter of trading, while Moet Hennessy's parent group, LVMH, announced more strong Cognac sales in China and a rebound in Champagne sales.
Diageo is sitting on a mountain of cash - GBP2bn (US$3.09bn) at the end of its most recent fiscal year. It already owns 34% of Moet Hennessy and has a gaping hole in its portfolio for a leading Champagne and Cognac. Asia's thirst for Cognac has highlighted the disparity between Diageo's lack of activity in this area and the strong gains made by rival Pernod Ricard with Martell.
It has always been assumed that the stumbling block to a deal was LVMH chairman Bernard Arnault. There has not been a compelling case made for Arnault seeking a sale.
What potentially makes the rumours different this time around is that they coincide with speculation that LVMH is eyeing a bid for Hermès. LVMH might be tempted to sell Moet Hennessy to raise cash for Hermès, it is thought.
This may have the whiff of investment bankers touting for business, but the logic for a deal makes sense.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Tsingtao Brewery issues profits warning
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends