Blog: Diageo, Moet Hennessy deal rumours fizz, again
Chris Mercer | 18 October 2010
Diageo's long-fabled desire to buy Moet Hennessy is back in the rumour mill.
The Guinness brewer last week cheered analysts by reporting a buoyant first quarter of trading, while Moet Hennessy's parent group, LVMH, announced more strong Cognac sales in China and a rebound in Champagne sales.
Diageo is sitting on a mountain of cash - GBP2bn (US$3.09bn) at the end of its most recent fiscal year. It already owns 34% of Moet Hennessy and has a gaping hole in its portfolio for a leading Champagne and Cognac. Asia's thirst for Cognac has highlighted the disparity between Diageo's lack of activity in this area and the strong gains made by rival Pernod Ricard with Martell.
It has always been assumed that the stumbling block to a deal was LVMH chairman Bernard Arnault. There has not been a compelling case made for Arnault seeking a sale.
What potentially makes the rumours different this time around is that they coincide with speculation that LVMH is eyeing a bid for Hermès. LVMH might be tempted to sell Moet Hennessy to raise cash for Hermès, it is thought.
This may have the whiff of investment bankers touting for business, but the logic for a deal makes sense.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US