Blog: Diageo in India - Still many rivers to cross?
Olly Wehring | 12 November 2008
A fascinating meet-up last night in London, when Diageo invited us along to its inaugural press dinner. Present at the bunfight were, among others, CEO Paul Walsh and CFO Nick Rose. I took the opportunity to quiz some of Diageo's top bods about the company's intentions in India, following recent speculation linking Diageo to talks with The UB Group.
The Indian behemoth's chairman, Dr Vijay Mallya, told me earlier this month that the two companies “keep talking about matters of mutual interest”.
“They've got a very strong portfolio of brands, I have a very strong route-to-market and so we talk about possibilities of cooperation,” he said. “But there's nothing concrete.”
What one Diageo exec suggested to me, however, is that, much as UB does have a distribution footprint to crow about in the country, that footprint may not be the kind that would suit Diageo's brands in India. A fair point, with the exception of the Whyte & Mackay brands, UB's portfolio is heavily- - if not solely - geared towards Indian brands. Would an outlet that sells UB's Kingfisher beer brand be the right point-of-sale for Smirnoff?
Whatever, it would appear that Diageo is sitting tight until the long-running saga over excise barriers for foreign spirits brands is resolved. I fear that this matter will need putting to bed before Diageo's attention switches to how it ups its presence in the Indian market.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits