Blog: Diageo in India - Still many rivers to cross?
Olly Wehring | 12 November 2008
A fascinating meet-up last night in London, when Diageo invited us along to its inaugural press dinner. Present at the bunfight were, among others, CEO Paul Walsh and CFO Nick Rose. I took the opportunity to quiz some of Diageo's top bods about the company's intentions in India, following recent speculation linking Diageo to talks with The UB Group.
The Indian behemoth's chairman, Dr Vijay Mallya, told me earlier this month that the two companies “keep talking about matters of mutual interest”.
“They've got a very strong portfolio of brands, I have a very strong route-to-market and so we talk about possibilities of cooperation,” he said. “But there's nothing concrete.”
What one Diageo exec suggested to me, however, is that, much as UB does have a distribution footprint to crow about in the country, that footprint may not be the kind that would suit Diageo's brands in India. A fair point, with the exception of the Whyte & Mackay brands, UB's portfolio is heavily- - if not solely - geared towards Indian brands. Would an outlet that sells UB's Kingfisher beer brand be the right point-of-sale for Smirnoff?
Whatever, it would appear that Diageo is sitting tight until the long-running saga over excise barriers for foreign spirits brands is resolved. I fear that this matter will need putting to bed before Diageo's attention switches to how it ups its presence in the Indian market.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends