Blog: Diageo hopes 'charity tax' gets stuck at ferry terminal
Chris Mercer | 25 August 2011
Diageo's CEO, Paul Walsh, has said he does not expect to give a one-off tax donation to the UK Government, as some of his counterparts in France have promised to do.
CEOs of some of France's largest companies, including Evian water producer Danone, have said that they are willing to pay a one-off tax contribution to help the country reduce its debt.
It is not clear whether this offer amounts to a personal or corporate contribution.
Either way, Diageo's CEO Paul Walsh seems in no mind to lead a similar charge in the UK. "I hope it stays that side of the [English] Channel," he told just-drinks in an interview today (25 August).
"This company pays enough tax and this individual pays enough tax and we're not going to pay any more," he said. That's that, then.
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Editor's Viewpoint – What I've Learnt About Chile
- Interview - Concha y Toro Marketing Director
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review