Blog: Diageo gives Ireland a Guinness grin
Chris Mercer | 23 September 2011
I've just arrived back from Diageo's third Arthur's Day music festival for Guinness.
There were some long faces at the Bank of Ireland summit taking place at our Westbury hotel in Dublin yesterday evening. I couldn't be certain, but I think the bar tab read: three half-pints, 15 straws.
It might not seem like great timing for a huge party, but - as the world stands on the precipice of another economic meltdown - perhaps a few pints of Guinness is exactly what people need. That certainly seemed to be the case in Dublin last night, as I saw first-hand the way Diageo has put together its annual Arthur's Day festival.
As bands of all sizes flitted between pubs, bars and theatres, Dubliners came out in their droves. Of course, Diageo and Ireland's on-trade could do with this sort of thing much more often as they seek to arrest declining volume sales in the country. Even so, the annual celebration of Arthur Guinness sealing the 9,000-year lease on what is now St James's Gate has the makings of a second St Patrick's Day, which can only be good news for Diageo and the pub trade. in Ireland.
Check just-drinks early next week to read about my chat with Diageo's global brand director for Guinness, Oliver Loomes.
See below for some highlights of the event, courtesy of Diageo.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research