Blog: Diageo gives Ireland a Guinness grin
Chris Mercer | 23 September 2011
I've just arrived back from Diageo's third Arthur's Day music festival for Guinness.
There were some long faces at the Bank of Ireland summit taking place at our Westbury hotel in Dublin yesterday evening. I couldn't be certain, but I think the bar tab read: three half-pints, 15 straws.
It might not seem like great timing for a huge party, but - as the world stands on the precipice of another economic meltdown - perhaps a few pints of Guinness is exactly what people need. That certainly seemed to be the case in Dublin last night, as I saw first-hand the way Diageo has put together its annual Arthur's Day festival.
As bands of all sizes flitted between pubs, bars and theatres, Dubliners came out in their droves. Of course, Diageo and Ireland's on-trade could do with this sort of thing much more often as they seek to arrest declining volume sales in the country. Even so, the annual celebration of Arthur Guinness sealing the 9,000-year lease on what is now St James's Gate has the makings of a second St Patrick's Day, which can only be good news for Diageo and the pub trade. in Ireland.
Check just-drinks early next week to read about my chat with Diageo's global brand director for Guinness, Oliver Loomes.
See below for some highlights of the event, courtesy of Diageo.
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Focus - The Risks of Acquisitions
- Comment - Scotch's Battle with Age
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Roust takes on Bushmills distribution in Russia
- Brown-Forman completes Kentucky acquisition
- Diageo silent on United Spirits inspection
- Diageo creates USL unit to oversee own brands
- Pernod Ricard to up focus on consumers - CEO
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review