Blog: Diageo gives Ireland a Guinness grin
Chris Mercer | 23 September 2011
I've just arrived back from Diageo's third Arthur's Day music festival for Guinness.
There were some long faces at the Bank of Ireland summit taking place at our Westbury hotel in Dublin yesterday evening. I couldn't be certain, but I think the bar tab read: three half-pints, 15 straws.
It might not seem like great timing for a huge party, but - as the world stands on the precipice of another economic meltdown - perhaps a few pints of Guinness is exactly what people need. That certainly seemed to be the case in Dublin last night, as I saw first-hand the way Diageo has put together its annual Arthur's Day festival.
As bands of all sizes flitted between pubs, bars and theatres, Dubliners came out in their droves. Of course, Diageo and Ireland's on-trade could do with this sort of thing much more often as they seek to arrest declining volume sales in the country. Even so, the annual celebration of Arthur Guinness sealing the 9,000-year lease on what is now St James's Gate has the makings of a second St Patrick's Day, which can only be good news for Diageo and the pub trade. in Ireland.
Check just-drinks early next week to read about my chat with Diageo's global brand director for Guinness, Oliver Loomes.
See below for some highlights of the event, courtesy of Diageo.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research