Blog: Diageo gives Ireland a Guinness grin
Chris Mercer | 23 September 2011
I've just arrived back from Diageo's third Arthur's Day music festival for Guinness.
There were some long faces at the Bank of Ireland summit taking place at our Westbury hotel in Dublin yesterday evening. I couldn't be certain, but I think the bar tab read: three half-pints, 15 straws.
It might not seem like great timing for a huge party, but - as the world stands on the precipice of another economic meltdown - perhaps a few pints of Guinness is exactly what people need. That certainly seemed to be the case in Dublin last night, as I saw first-hand the way Diageo has put together its annual Arthur's Day festival.
As bands of all sizes flitted between pubs, bars and theatres, Dubliners came out in their droves. Of course, Diageo and Ireland's on-trade could do with this sort of thing much more often as they seek to arrest declining volume sales in the country. Even so, the annual celebration of Arthur Guinness sealing the 9,000-year lease on what is now St James's Gate has the makings of a second St Patrick's Day, which can only be good news for Diageo and the pub trade. in Ireland.
Check just-drinks early next week to read about my chat with Diageo's global brand director for Guinness, Oliver Loomes.
See below for some highlights of the event, courtesy of Diageo.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets