Blog: Diageo gives Ireland a Guinness grin
Chris Mercer | 23 September 2011
I've just arrived back from Diageo's third Arthur's Day music festival for Guinness.
There were some long faces at the Bank of Ireland summit taking place at our Westbury hotel in Dublin yesterday evening. I couldn't be certain, but I think the bar tab read: three half-pints, 15 straws.
It might not seem like great timing for a huge party, but - as the world stands on the precipice of another economic meltdown - perhaps a few pints of Guinness is exactly what people need. That certainly seemed to be the case in Dublin last night, as I saw first-hand the way Diageo has put together its annual Arthur's Day festival.
As bands of all sizes flitted between pubs, bars and theatres, Dubliners came out in their droves. Of course, Diageo and Ireland's on-trade could do with this sort of thing much more often as they seek to arrest declining volume sales in the country. Even so, the annual celebration of Arthur Guinness sealing the 9,000-year lease on what is now St James's Gate has the makings of a second St Patrick's Day, which can only be good news for Diageo and the pub trade. in Ireland.
Check just-drinks early next week to read about my chat with Diageo's global brand director for Guinness, Oliver Loomes.
See below for some highlights of the event, courtesy of Diageo.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research