Blog: Diageo ends United Spirits intrigue
Olly Wehring | 25 August 2009
Diageo has put an end to speculation that it may invest in United Spirits (USL), at least for now.
It has been apparent to just-drinks, as I'm sure it will have been to several others following the situation, that talks between the two companies were not going swimmingly.
There have been suggestions from the Diageo camp that Mallya and co were not that easy to deal with. Sources diplomatically described the progress of talks as "slow" earlier this year, although both Diageo and USL maintained that the dialogue was still open.
Now, the game is up. The main barriers - the size of Diageo's stake and the amount of investment required by USL - have proven insurmountable.
Well, they have for now. On the face of it, some kind of tie-up still looks like a decent bet for the future.
India is one the world's largest countries, with a strongly emerging economy and a growing thirst for spirits. USL controls around two thirds of the market and, as part of Vijay Mallya's UB Group, has the biggest distribution network in the country's drinks sector.
Diageo, as the world's largest spirits firm, naturally wants a piece of that market. Its current joint-venture in India with Radico Khaitan has a spirits market share of around 10% - hardly enough for the world's leading spirits player.
However, exciting as India may be as a market prospect, it is early days. There is plenty of time for round two.
United Spirits, meanwhile, has its short-term sights fixed on securing private equity investment.
The long-running discussions between Diageo and United Spirits over a possible stake purchase have collapsed, with Diageo walking away from the table....
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review