Blog: Diageo ends United Spirits intrigue
Olly Wehring | 25 August 2009
Diageo has put an end to speculation that it may invest in United Spirits (USL), at least for now.
It has been apparent to just-drinks, as I'm sure it will have been to several others following the situation, that talks between the two companies were not going swimmingly.
There have been suggestions from the Diageo camp that Mallya and co were not that easy to deal with. Sources diplomatically described the progress of talks as "slow" earlier this year, although both Diageo and USL maintained that the dialogue was still open.
Now, the game is up. The main barriers - the size of Diageo's stake and the amount of investment required by USL - have proven insurmountable.
Well, they have for now. On the face of it, some kind of tie-up still looks like a decent bet for the future.
India is one the world's largest countries, with a strongly emerging economy and a growing thirst for spirits. USL controls around two thirds of the market and, as part of Vijay Mallya's UB Group, has the biggest distribution network in the country's drinks sector.
Diageo, as the world's largest spirits firm, naturally wants a piece of that market. Its current joint-venture in India with Radico Khaitan has a spirits market share of around 10% - hardly enough for the world's leading spirits player.
However, exciting as India may be as a market prospect, it is early days. There is plenty of time for round two.
United Spirits, meanwhile, has its short-term sights fixed on securing private equity investment.
The long-running discussions between Diageo and United Spirits over a possible stake purchase have collapsed, with Diageo walking away from the table....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits