Blog: Diageo ends United Spirits intrigue
Olly Wehring | 25 August 2009
Diageo has put an end to speculation that it may invest in United Spirits (USL), at least for now.
It has been apparent to just-drinks, as I'm sure it will have been to several others following the situation, that talks between the two companies were not going swimmingly.
There have been suggestions from the Diageo camp that Mallya and co were not that easy to deal with. Sources diplomatically described the progress of talks as "slow" earlier this year, although both Diageo and USL maintained that the dialogue was still open.
Now, the game is up. The main barriers - the size of Diageo's stake and the amount of investment required by USL - have proven insurmountable.
Well, they have for now. On the face of it, some kind of tie-up still looks like a decent bet for the future.
India is one the world's largest countries, with a strongly emerging economy and a growing thirst for spirits. USL controls around two thirds of the market and, as part of Vijay Mallya's UB Group, has the biggest distribution network in the country's drinks sector.
Diageo, as the world's largest spirits firm, naturally wants a piece of that market. Its current joint-venture in India with Radico Khaitan has a spirits market share of around 10% - hardly enough for the world's leading spirits player.
However, exciting as India may be as a market prospect, it is early days. There is plenty of time for round two.
United Spirits, meanwhile, has its short-term sights fixed on securing private equity investment.
The long-running discussions between Diageo and United Spirits over a possible stake purchase have collapsed, with Diageo walking away from the table....
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review