Blog: Diageo ends United Spirits intrigue
Olly Wehring | 25 August 2009
Diageo has put an end to speculation that it may invest in United Spirits (USL), at least for now.
It has been apparent to just-drinks, as I'm sure it will have been to several others following the situation, that talks between the two companies were not going swimmingly.
There have been suggestions from the Diageo camp that Mallya and co were not that easy to deal with. Sources diplomatically described the progress of talks as "slow" earlier this year, although both Diageo and USL maintained that the dialogue was still open.
Now, the game is up. The main barriers - the size of Diageo's stake and the amount of investment required by USL - have proven insurmountable.
Well, they have for now. On the face of it, some kind of tie-up still looks like a decent bet for the future.
India is one the world's largest countries, with a strongly emerging economy and a growing thirst for spirits. USL controls around two thirds of the market and, as part of Vijay Mallya's UB Group, has the biggest distribution network in the country's drinks sector.
Diageo, as the world's largest spirits firm, naturally wants a piece of that market. Its current joint-venture in India with Radico Khaitan has a spirits market share of around 10% - hardly enough for the world's leading spirits player.
However, exciting as India may be as a market prospect, it is early days. There is plenty of time for round two.
United Spirits, meanwhile, has its short-term sights fixed on securing private equity investment.
The long-running discussions between Diageo and United Spirits over a possible stake purchase have collapsed, with Diageo walking away from the table....
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Inver House Distillers posts FY profits leap
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research