Blog: Diageo and UB - a two-horse race
Olly Wehring | 18 January 2007
Looks like Diageo a ruffling a few Indian feathers at the moment - something the UK seems to be doing quite a lot of at the moment.
The drinks giant appears to be treading on the toes of Vijay Mallya’s UB Group in the country, with a bid to snatch the sponsorship of the McDowell Indian Derby horse race from UB, according to local reports.
The club which owns the race earlier this month received a INR150m (US$3.4m) bid from Diageo - three times what UB currently pays to sponsor the event. The club thought long and hard… and said no. UB will be allowed to sponsor the event until 2008 as agreed, the committee said. Since then, Diageo has put in another, even bigger offer of INR250m.
Considering the McDowell Derby is named after UB’s whisky brand, this could be quite a colourful fight. And, considering the strained relationship between the UK and India right now, I wouldn’t expect it to be resolved any day soon.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- AB InBev raises SAB cash offer by GBP1 per share
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends