Blog: Diageo and UB - a two-horse race
Olly Wehring | 18 January 2007
Looks like Diageo a ruffling a few Indian feathers at the moment - something the UK seems to be doing quite a lot of at the moment.
The drinks giant appears to be treading on the toes of Vijay Mallya’s UB Group in the country, with a bid to snatch the sponsorship of the McDowell Indian Derby horse race from UB, according to local reports.
The club which owns the race earlier this month received a INR150m (US$3.4m) bid from Diageo - three times what UB currently pays to sponsor the event. The club thought long and hard… and said no. UB will be allowed to sponsor the event until 2008 as agreed, the committee said. Since then, Diageo has put in another, even bigger offer of INR250m.
Considering the McDowell Derby is named after UB’s whisky brand, this could be quite a colourful fight. And, considering the strained relationship between the UK and India right now, I wouldn’t expect it to be resolved any day soon.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends