Blog: Diageo and UB - a two-horse race
Olly Wehring | 18 January 2007
Looks like Diageo a ruffling a few Indian feathers at the moment - something the UK seems to be doing quite a lot of at the moment.
The drinks giant appears to be treading on the toes of Vijay Mallya’s UB Group in the country, with a bid to snatch the sponsorship of the McDowell Indian Derby horse race from UB, according to local reports.
The club which owns the race earlier this month received a INR150m (US$3.4m) bid from Diageo - three times what UB currently pays to sponsor the event. The club thought long and hard… and said no. UB will be allowed to sponsor the event until 2008 as agreed, the committee said. Since then, Diageo has put in another, even bigger offer of INR250m.
Considering the McDowell Derby is named after UB’s whisky brand, this could be quite a colourful fight. And, considering the strained relationship between the UK and India right now, I wouldn’t expect it to be resolved any day soon.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends