Blog: Diageo and UB - a two-horse race
Olly Wehring | 18 January 2007
Looks like Diageo a ruffling a few Indian feathers at the moment - something the UK seems to be doing quite a lot of at the moment.
The drinks giant appears to be treading on the toes of Vijay Mallya’s UB Group in the country, with a bid to snatch the sponsorship of the McDowell Indian Derby horse race from UB, according to local reports.
The club which owns the race earlier this month received a INR150m (US$3.4m) bid from Diageo - three times what UB currently pays to sponsor the event. The club thought long and hard… and said no. UB will be allowed to sponsor the event until 2008 as agreed, the committee said. Since then, Diageo has put in another, even bigger offer of INR250m.
Considering the McDowell Derby is named after UB’s whisky brand, this could be quite a colourful fight. And, considering the strained relationship between the UK and India right now, I wouldn’t expect it to be resolved any day soon.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- Can Bacardi take its rum back to the party?
- What Trans-Pacific Partnership means for drinks
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Japan and the global soft drinks race
- ABInBev on the verge of SABMiller buy? - Comment
- A-B InBev raises SABMiller offer to GBP70.5bn
- Anheuser-Busch InBev wins SABMiller's hand
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Beam Suntory CMO to stand down
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report