Blog: Diageo and Moet Hennessy [continued]
Chris Mercer | 25 October 2010
One day, Diageo will probably get its hands on Moet Hennessy proper, but only one man knows when.
Rumours that Diageo has again been sizing up Moet went into overdrive at the weekend after Moet's parent, LVMH, said it has invested in a stake in Hermes. The further LVMH seeks to go down the fashion catwalk, the less it will be interested in fizz and Cognac - or so the logic goes.
Diageo continues to make no secret of its desire to buy the 66% of Moet that it does not already own. This desire must have increased four-fold after seeing Pernod Ricard and Remy Cointreau clean up in the Chinese Cognac market over the last year.
But, the intimation from sources close to Diageo, and the sober response from several analysts, suggests that talk of a deal is still half-baked. LVMH's chairman, Bernard Arnault, has not appeared in any mood to do a deal - yet.
Diageo might be tempted to spend a little more than the going market rate in order to acquire Moet, but there is little sense that Arnault wants - or needs - to sell at the moment.
The 61-year-old, then, is holding the final piece of the jigsaw.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends