Blog: Diageo and Moet Hennessy [continued]
Chris Mercer | 25 October 2010
One day, Diageo will probably get its hands on Moet Hennessy proper, but only one man knows when.
Rumours that Diageo has again been sizing up Moet went into overdrive at the weekend after Moet's parent, LVMH, said it has invested in a stake in Hermes. The further LVMH seeks to go down the fashion catwalk, the less it will be interested in fizz and Cognac - or so the logic goes.
Diageo continues to make no secret of its desire to buy the 66% of Moet that it does not already own. This desire must have increased four-fold after seeing Pernod Ricard and Remy Cointreau clean up in the Chinese Cognac market over the last year.
But, the intimation from sources close to Diageo, and the sober response from several analysts, suggests that talk of a deal is still half-baked. LVMH's chairman, Bernard Arnault, has not appeared in any mood to do a deal - yet.
Diageo might be tempted to spend a little more than the going market rate in order to acquire Moet, but there is little sense that Arnault wants - or needs - to sell at the moment.
The 61-year-old, then, is holding the final piece of the jigsaw.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits