Blog: Diageo and its wad of cash
Chris Mercer | 26 August 2010
Diageo has built up a significant pile of cash over the last year and speculation is growing as to what the company will do with it.
Diageo had a free cashflow of GBP2bn (US$3.09bn) at the end of its most recent fiscal year. Group CEO Paul Walsh told journalists today (26 August) that the company might consider a share buy-back during the coming 12 months, should economic conditions not worsen.
What is clear, is that the company is keeping a very open mind indeed on how to "return value to shareholders" - and that is likely to fuel more speculation (like this) that the firm is on the acquisition trail.
Does Walsh have Moet Hennessy on speed dial? I hear Cognac is doing well in those emerging markets.
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends