Blog: Diageo and its wad of cash
Chris Mercer | 26 August 2010
Diageo has built up a significant pile of cash over the last year and speculation is growing as to what the company will do with it.
Diageo had a free cashflow of GBP2bn (US$3.09bn) at the end of its most recent fiscal year. Group CEO Paul Walsh told journalists today (26 August) that the company might consider a share buy-back during the coming 12 months, should economic conditions not worsen.
What is clear, is that the company is keeping a very open mind indeed on how to "return value to shareholders" - and that is likely to fuel more speculation (like this) that the firm is on the acquisition trail.
Does Walsh have Moet Hennessy on speed dial? I hear Cognac is doing well in those emerging markets.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- This week in spirits & wine
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts