Blog: Diageo and Gordon Ramsay - gin it to win it
Olly Wehring | 7 September 2007
“(I’m) very proud and very confident,” says celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay, as he stands to speak about his namesake deal with Diageo’s Gordon’s gin. "The synergy is phenomenal, clearly."
A modest man in jeans and grey jumper, he speaks quickly, almost with hurried flippancy and turns to one of his mugshot advertisements glaring back at him from the wall and shrugs.
“I recently got described in these pictures as having a face that looked like the map of Wales, which I think is accurate,” he adds, laughing. But then he’s back on it, serious, cut-to-the chase, no time for descriptive rubbish, it's simply good, or it's not. Much like the message hammered home by Diageo's current marketing campaign. Ramsay doesn't have time for anything that isn't. That much is noted.
“The whole campaign is a serious message, I am 150% committed. I don’t carry passengers, as you well know,” he smirks.
“The secret for me is the level of simplicity. For me, the ingredients are paramount. No one wants anything fancy in a pub. People want things to be traditional." Gordon's and tonic is "a passport for consistency", he adds.
Is this an insight that could help the drinks industry prosper in these smoking ban, weather-beaten times?
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits