Blog: Diageo - An apology
Olly Wehring | 15 April 2008
I know it was cheeky, and I’m really sorry, but I just couldn’t help it.
As the ‘any questions’ segment of Paul Walsh’s presentation to the World Whiskies Conference today (15 April) drew to a close, I simply had to ask him:
“How does it feel to no longer be the biggest premium spirits company in the world?”
Quick as you like, he replied: “There are statistics, and there are statistics.
“For those of you who like to study annual reports, look at market capitalisation, look at total sales, look at margins, and then make your decision.”
Malt whisky continues to outpace the growth of blended Scotch and its leading brands are putting in stellar performances. But as a new report from just-drinks explains, a closer look reveals a categor...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- William Grant and Drambuie: It Had to be You
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Scottish leader speaks out over Scotch whisky
- SABMiller, Heineken silent on takeover offer talk