Blog: Dew your 15 minutes of fame
Chris Brook-Carter | 25 April 2005
As warm weather threatens to descend on us here in the Northern Hemisphere, one by one drinks companies are unveiling their summer advertising campaigns.
Among the releases that caught the eye as particularly clever today was Mountain Dew's effort to appeal to its youth audience.
The brand has appealed to that most powerful human emotion. No not sex, but something far more 21st century - the desire to see oneself on television. Through the use of a few camera's and a little computer trickery consumers of Mountain Dew will be able to see their image adorn a Mountain Dew bulletin board in Times Square, as well as one in Hollywood.
Onlookers will need only stand on the spot marked by an “X” and align themselves with one of two outlined figures, one smashing a Mountain Dew can against his forehead and the other gulping down the beverage. Their image will then be superimposed on the board.
Owners Pepsi seem to have picked the right venue for this interactive marketing push as well. The Times Square bulletin board conveniently serves as the backdrop for the glass-walled studios where legions of teen fans line up for the daily filming of MTV’s TRL.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research