Blog: Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles
Chris Brook-Carter | 12 September 2005
Greetings from Munich, home of the Oktoberfest, the ultimate wurst and, for this week, Drinktec 2005.
This fair, covering beverage and liquid food technology, has come round again, and just-drinks is here to give you the inside track on what´s hot and what´s not in the technical area of our industry. And, oh my, it´s big.
The New Munich Trade Fair Centre has given over 12 halls to the event and, would you believe, my feet hurt after only one day here. In size terms, at least, this puts the London International Wine and Spirits Fair in the ´church fete´category.
Working bottling lines, shrink-wrap machines and, erm, hops are jostling for attention - bewildering, mesmerising and fascinating. Oh, and overwhelming.
I´m back here tomorrow to cover the remaining 90% of the place I´ve not had time to visit today. And I can assure you, it has had nothing to do with following England´s relentless march towards the Ashes from the press centre.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends