Blog: Democrat or Republican? Your reputation at the bar precedes you
Olly Wehring | 18 August 2008
The presidential election in the US is bound to drive both sides of the political divide to head for the nearest bar come election night – half to toast their win, the other half to drown their sorrows.
In one of the more tenuous drinks-related surveys, announced today (18 August), it appears US Democrats are the more generous when it comes to tipping, while Republicans are keener on their drinks straight up as opposed to those namby-pamby cocktails.
The survey, of around 100 bartenders in the Washington DC area, also concluded that Democrats have better pick-up lines and give better toasts, while the two parties are in agreement on drinking hours, with Republicans edging out for the first to arrive at happy hour and Democrats being the last to go home.
“According to the survey results, bartenders in Denver should know that they’ll hear better toasts while the bartenders in Minneapolis won’t need as much ice with their patrons ordering drinks straight up,” said Bobby Gleason, “master mixologist” for Beam Global.
The full survey questions and results include:
· Who is a better tipper? Democrats 60%, Republicans 38%
· Who is more likely to order a drink straight up? Democrats 14%, Republicans 82%
· Who is more likely to order a fruity (pink) drink? Democrats 58%, Republicans 34%
· Who has the better pick-up lines? Democrats 74%, Republicans 14%
· Who is better at giving a toast? Democrats 63%, Republicans 36%
· Who is more likely to arrive first to happy hour? Democrats 48%, Republicans 50%
· Who is more likely to be the last to go home? Democrats 53%, Republicans 46%
Yes, it's quiet again today...
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends