Blog: Currency Affairs
Chris Brook-Carter | 8 January 2004
The troubles that may face wine producers attempting to import and then sell into the US market were alluded to by the boss of the world's largest wine company, Constellation Wines, as it announced its latest quarterly results earlier this week.
Stephen Millar, who became head of Constellation's wine unit after the takeover of Australia's BRL Hardy in March 2003, said: "The wine industry is going through a challenging time, and it's tougher than it has been."
Australian winemakers selling in the US in particular are having to reassess pricing and strategies due to the surging Australian currency. The Australian dollar was the best performing major currency in 2003 rising 34% against the US dollar and ending the year at around 75 cents.
Australian winemakers now face a choice. Either they trim margins to maintain volumes and market share, or risk both by pushing through price increases in the US to maintain profitiability.
France, Italy and Australia accounted for 83% of the US$2.15 billion of still table wine the US imported in the first 10 months of 2003, according to the National Association of Beverage Importers. And it is producers from these countries who must make the toughest decisions, as the US has proved a lucrative balance to their declining home markets.
There was a useful article in the Sydney Morning Herald today summarising some of the probelms ahead. To see it follow the link below.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US