Blog: Cubanet Sauvignon
Chris Brook-Carter | 13 October 2003
Those of you who can't get enough of Ry Cooder, mojitos and habana cigars, should probably note that Cuba has now begun producing its own wines, through two joint ventures with the Cuban government and European companies from Spain and Italy.
Three years ago Bodegas del Caribe planted 22 varieties of grape brought over from Spain with the goal of adapting them to the climate and soils of the island. The result is 4,000 cases of wine which the company now sells in the island's main hotel chains and the network of stores.
There are now some predictions in local press that possibly from the next harvest the company will begin exporting to the Dominican Republic, the UK and Germany.
The part Italian-owned Bodegas San Cristobal plans its first harvest for February 2004.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends