Blog: Crooners, scooners, raps and drams
Chris Brook-Carter | 30 March 2005
If any of you marketing bods out there are looking for a new way to reach your audience, an article on the BBC's website might offer some inspiration. Certain consumer goods companies have begun offering music artists cash in return for mentioning their products in song lyrics, the report says.
Apparently rapper Petey Pablo's 2004 US hit Freek-a-Leek is a measure of things to come, as he was paid to rap: "Now I got to give a shout out to Seagram's gin, Cause I drink it, and they payin' for it."
It certainly takes product placement to a new level and I look forward to Radiohead slipping a plug for the playful qualities of Babycham into their next angst-ridden ballad or perhaps the Beastie Boys extolling the virtues of Blossom Hill whilst laying down some phat beats on a song about New York street gangs.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends