Blog: Cowes with Mumm - almost too much fun
Olly Wehring | 10 August 2007
A postcard from our news editor, Jessica Harvey.
Hundreds of white sails adorn the horizon, the sun beats down over cotton wool clouds upon a backdrop of blue sky, and the most prevalent sounds are of corks popping, Champagne flutes clinking and flags billowing in the breeze.
Welcome to the yachting capital of the world, Cowes, for the Isle of Wight’s annual sailing regatta, Cowes Week.
Sailing, one of the few mainstream sports where men and women compete on equal terms and for Ladies Day in particular, the festivities involve celebrating the triumphs of some pretty hardy female sailors. Gutsy women - many who have overcome some kind of difficulty in their lives, but continue to power on through (I know how they feel).
The week attracts over 1,000 competing boats, 8,500 competitors and at least 10,000 spectators each day. One of which is me, your esteemed news editor. I'm here as a guest of G.H. Mumm, Pernod Ricard's Champagne brand.
Champagne? Yachts? Is this real life?
Not for me, it isn't. Toiling against the coalface, chipping out news for you, day in, day out - that's real life for me.
So you'll forgive me for indulging myself, on Pernod's ticket, for a couple of days. The sky has been virtually cloud-free, the glass has never been empty, and the yacht has only been replaced once - by a speedboat.
So, this is real life for me today - naturally, I wish you were here.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- Pernod Ricard targets at-home drinking
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends