Blog: Cowes with Mumm - almost too much fun
Olly Wehring | 10 August 2007
A postcard from our news editor, Jessica Harvey.
Hundreds of white sails adorn the horizon, the sun beats down over cotton wool clouds upon a backdrop of blue sky, and the most prevalent sounds are of corks popping, Champagne flutes clinking and flags billowing in the breeze.
Welcome to the yachting capital of the world, Cowes, for the Isle of Wight’s annual sailing regatta, Cowes Week.
Sailing, one of the few mainstream sports where men and women compete on equal terms and for Ladies Day in particular, the festivities involve celebrating the triumphs of some pretty hardy female sailors. Gutsy women - many who have overcome some kind of difficulty in their lives, but continue to power on through (I know how they feel).
The week attracts over 1,000 competing boats, 8,500 competitors and at least 10,000 spectators each day. One of which is me, your esteemed news editor. I'm here as a guest of G.H. Mumm, Pernod Ricard's Champagne brand.
Champagne? Yachts? Is this real life?
Not for me, it isn't. Toiling against the coalface, chipping out news for you, day in, day out - that's real life for me.
So you'll forgive me for indulging myself, on Pernod's ticket, for a couple of days. The sky has been virtually cloud-free, the glass has never been empty, and the yacht has only been replaced once - by a speedboat.
So, this is real life for me today - naturally, I wish you were here.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts