Blog: Cowes with Mumm - almost too much fun
Olly Wehring | 10 August 2007
A postcard from our news editor, Jessica Harvey.
Hundreds of white sails adorn the horizon, the sun beats down over cotton wool clouds upon a backdrop of blue sky, and the most prevalent sounds are of corks popping, Champagne flutes clinking and flags billowing in the breeze.
Welcome to the yachting capital of the world, Cowes, for the Isle of Wight’s annual sailing regatta, Cowes Week.
Sailing, one of the few mainstream sports where men and women compete on equal terms and for Ladies Day in particular, the festivities involve celebrating the triumphs of some pretty hardy female sailors. Gutsy women - many who have overcome some kind of difficulty in their lives, but continue to power on through (I know how they feel).
The week attracts over 1,000 competing boats, 8,500 competitors and at least 10,000 spectators each day. One of which is me, your esteemed news editor. I'm here as a guest of G.H. Mumm, Pernod Ricard's Champagne brand.
Champagne? Yachts? Is this real life?
Not for me, it isn't. Toiling against the coalface, chipping out news for you, day in, day out - that's real life for me.
So you'll forgive me for indulging myself, on Pernod's ticket, for a couple of days. The sky has been virtually cloud-free, the glass has never been empty, and the yacht has only been replaced once - by a speedboat.
So, this is real life for me today - naturally, I wish you were here.
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
Frank Sinatra liked a drink. He was famous for it. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research