Blog: Cowes with Mumm - almost too much fun
Olly Wehring | 10 August 2007
A postcard from our news editor, Jessica Harvey.
Hundreds of white sails adorn the horizon, the sun beats down over cotton wool clouds upon a backdrop of blue sky, and the most prevalent sounds are of corks popping, Champagne flutes clinking and flags billowing in the breeze.
Welcome to the yachting capital of the world, Cowes, for the Isle of Wight’s annual sailing regatta, Cowes Week.
Sailing, one of the few mainstream sports where men and women compete on equal terms and for Ladies Day in particular, the festivities involve celebrating the triumphs of some pretty hardy female sailors. Gutsy women - many who have overcome some kind of difficulty in their lives, but continue to power on through (I know how they feel).
The week attracts over 1,000 competing boats, 8,500 competitors and at least 10,000 spectators each day. One of which is me, your esteemed news editor. I'm here as a guest of G.H. Mumm, Pernod Ricard's Champagne brand.
Champagne? Yachts? Is this real life?
Not for me, it isn't. Toiling against the coalface, chipping out news for you, day in, day out - that's real life for me.
So you'll forgive me for indulging myself, on Pernod's ticket, for a couple of days. The sky has been virtually cloud-free, the glass has never been empty, and the yacht has only been replaced once - by a speedboat.
So, this is real life for me today - naturally, I wish you were here.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research