Blog: Cowes with Mumm - almost too much fun
Olly Wehring | 10 August 2007
A postcard from our news editor, Jessica Harvey.
Hundreds of white sails adorn the horizon, the sun beats down over cotton wool clouds upon a backdrop of blue sky, and the most prevalent sounds are of corks popping, Champagne flutes clinking and flags billowing in the breeze.
Welcome to the yachting capital of the world, Cowes, for the Isle of Wight’s annual sailing regatta, Cowes Week.
Sailing, one of the few mainstream sports where men and women compete on equal terms and for Ladies Day in particular, the festivities involve celebrating the triumphs of some pretty hardy female sailors. Gutsy women - many who have overcome some kind of difficulty in their lives, but continue to power on through (I know how they feel).
The week attracts over 1,000 competing boats, 8,500 competitors and at least 10,000 spectators each day. One of which is me, your esteemed news editor. I'm here as a guest of G.H. Mumm, Pernod Ricard's Champagne brand.
Champagne? Yachts? Is this real life?
Not for me, it isn't. Toiling against the coalface, chipping out news for you, day in, day out - that's real life for me.
So you'll forgive me for indulging myself, on Pernod's ticket, for a couple of days. The sky has been virtually cloud-free, the glass has never been empty, and the yacht has only been replaced once - by a speedboat.
So, this is real life for me today - naturally, I wish you were here.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits