Blog: Courting lunacy
Chris Brook-Carter | 30 October 2003
But before we do, if you needed any further evidence that the litigation culture is here to stay - and a very real threat to drinks businesses the world over - then it is worth checking out this week’s Australian press.
Among the clippings you’ll find news that a man has been trying to sue the beer company Tooheys ltd after hurting his wrist trying to open a bottle of Tooheys' Extra Dry.
Restaurateur Louis Neil Franklin Miller claims he suffered a permanent injury to his left wrist while trying to crack open a cold one having just finished a game of tennis.
I am glad to say that he failed, with the judge ruling that while he was satisfied Mr Miller injured his wrist trying to open the bottle, he would not award him any damages. This was because Miller admitted using excessive force to open the bottle, when he could have used a cloth or bottle opener, which were both readily available to him.
However, the very fact he got this far says something about the culture we are living in. The response to next week’s article, as well as its advice should you get caught up in a litigation case should be interesting.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Tsingtao Brewery issues profits warning
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends