Blog: Courting lunacy
Chris Brook-Carter | 30 October 2003
But before we do, if you needed any further evidence that the litigation culture is here to stay - and a very real threat to drinks businesses the world over - then it is worth checking out this week’s Australian press.
Among the clippings you’ll find news that a man has been trying to sue the beer company Tooheys ltd after hurting his wrist trying to open a bottle of Tooheys' Extra Dry.
Restaurateur Louis Neil Franklin Miller claims he suffered a permanent injury to his left wrist while trying to crack open a cold one having just finished a game of tennis.
I am glad to say that he failed, with the judge ruling that while he was satisfied Mr Miller injured his wrist trying to open the bottle, he would not award him any damages. This was because Miller admitted using excessive force to open the bottle, when he could have used a cloth or bottle opener, which were both readily available to him.
However, the very fact he got this far says something about the culture we are living in. The response to next week’s article, as well as its advice should you get caught up in a litigation case should be interesting.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- The European beer market - Focus
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Sazerac poaches ex-Diageo government director