Blog: Cork it!
Chris Brook-Carter | 12 September 2003
It was when we got onto the subject of technology, and in particular the advances made in wine closures, that I commented how all had seemed quiet on that front in recent months.
So it was inevitable, I suppose, that a report from this year's International Wine Challenge - which is run incidentally by the company I used to work for - on the subject of corks arrived yesterday evening.
Apparently, the panel of expert tasters found that nearly one in 20 (4.9%) of the 11,033 corks pulled from bottles had spoiled or flattened the flavour of the wine they were supposed to protect.
Following this discovery, Wine International magazine, the organisers of the competition, held a comparative tasting of wines sealed with natural corks, synthetic corks, screwcaps and even crown-caps. The result? Screwcaps were preferred in 21 out of 40 cases; corks only won once.
If you have any comments on these results please let us know by emailing email@example.com
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
Advertising can be a strange beast. ...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018