Blog: Cork it!
Chris Brook-Carter | 12 September 2003
It was when we got onto the subject of technology, and in particular the advances made in wine closures, that I commented how all had seemed quiet on that front in recent months.
So it was inevitable, I suppose, that a report from this year's International Wine Challenge - which is run incidentally by the company I used to work for - on the subject of corks arrived yesterday evening.
Apparently, the panel of expert tasters found that nearly one in 20 (4.9%) of the 11,033 corks pulled from bottles had spoiled or flattened the flavour of the wine they were supposed to protect.
Following this discovery, Wine International magazine, the organisers of the competition, held a comparative tasting of wines sealed with natural corks, synthetic corks, screwcaps and even crown-caps. The result? Screwcaps were preferred in 21 out of 40 cases; corks only won once.
If you have any comments on these results please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Is Coca-Cola Co “back on track” after brighter Q1?
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets