Blog: Cork it!
Chris Brook-Carter | 12 September 2003
It was when we got onto the subject of technology, and in particular the advances made in wine closures, that I commented how all had seemed quiet on that front in recent months.
So it was inevitable, I suppose, that a report from this year's International Wine Challenge - which is run incidentally by the company I used to work for - on the subject of corks arrived yesterday evening.
Apparently, the panel of expert tasters found that nearly one in 20 (4.9%) of the 11,033 corks pulled from bottles had spoiled or flattened the flavour of the wine they were supposed to protect.
Following this discovery, Wine International magazine, the organisers of the competition, held a comparative tasting of wines sealed with natural corks, synthetic corks, screwcaps and even crown-caps. The result? Screwcaps were preferred in 21 out of 40 cases; corks only won once.
If you have any comments on these results please let us know by emailing email@example.com
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Absolut rebound paints rosy picture for Pernod
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends