Blog: Cork it!
Chris Brook-Carter | 12 September 2003
It was when we got onto the subject of technology, and in particular the advances made in wine closures, that I commented how all had seemed quiet on that front in recent months.
So it was inevitable, I suppose, that a report from this year's International Wine Challenge - which is run incidentally by the company I used to work for - on the subject of corks arrived yesterday evening.
Apparently, the panel of expert tasters found that nearly one in 20 (4.9%) of the 11,033 corks pulled from bottles had spoiled or flattened the flavour of the wine they were supposed to protect.
Following this discovery, Wine International magazine, the organisers of the competition, held a comparative tasting of wines sealed with natural corks, synthetic corks, screwcaps and even crown-caps. The result? Screwcaps were preferred in 21 out of 40 cases; corks only won once.
If you have any comments on these results please let us know by emailing email@example.com
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Molson Coors' Rekorderlig Cider Cocktails - NPD
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends