Blog: Coors for concern
Olly Wehring | 6 March 2009
How about this for a coincidence?
Less than two days after the head of Coors Brewers, Mark Hunter, told analysts in New York that pub closures in the UK were "no bad thing", Coors has decided to promote its "commitment" to the on-trade.
A press release has arrived at just-drinks towers declaring that Coors, which brews Carling, is this month launching a website to act as a "hassle free" ordering service for independent pubs and clubs across the country.
www.coorsdirect.com is being launched "as part of Coors Brewers' commitment to support the on-trade despite difficult economic times", the brewer said today (6 March).
Coors is also developing a new dynamic publishing system, allowing customers to create their own beer lists, wine menus and promotional materials, the group announced.
The news comes after Coors' CEO Hunter told an analyst conference hosted by parent firm Molson Coors that up to a quarter of UK pubs are likely to disappear within the next decade.
As reported by just-drinks yesterday, Hunter said: "That's probably no bad thing, because these are pubs from a period in history where their proposition is no longer relevant, where we've changed from an industrial society to more of a service industry."
Could the timing of the coorsdirect.com announcement be a spot of bridge building? Ahem.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends