Blog: Coors for concern
Olly Wehring | 6 March 2009
How about this for a coincidence?
Less than two days after the head of Coors Brewers, Mark Hunter, told analysts in New York that pub closures in the UK were "no bad thing", Coors has decided to promote its "commitment" to the on-trade.
A press release has arrived at just-drinks towers declaring that Coors, which brews Carling, is this month launching a website to act as a "hassle free" ordering service for independent pubs and clubs across the country.
www.coorsdirect.com is being launched "as part of Coors Brewers' commitment to support the on-trade despite difficult economic times", the brewer said today (6 March).
Coors is also developing a new dynamic publishing system, allowing customers to create their own beer lists, wine menus and promotional materials, the group announced.
The news comes after Coors' CEO Hunter told an analyst conference hosted by parent firm Molson Coors that up to a quarter of UK pubs are likely to disappear within the next decade.
As reported by just-drinks yesterday, Hunter said: "That's probably no bad thing, because these are pubs from a period in history where their proposition is no longer relevant, where we've changed from an industrial society to more of a service industry."
Could the timing of the coorsdirect.com announcement be a spot of bridge building? Ahem.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits