Blog: Coors for concern
Olly Wehring | 6 March 2009
How about this for a coincidence?
Less than two days after the head of Coors Brewers, Mark Hunter, told analysts in New York that pub closures in the UK were "no bad thing", Coors has decided to promote its "commitment" to the on-trade.
A press release has arrived at just-drinks towers declaring that Coors, which brews Carling, is this month launching a website to act as a "hassle free" ordering service for independent pubs and clubs across the country.
www.coorsdirect.com is being launched "as part of Coors Brewers' commitment to support the on-trade despite difficult economic times", the brewer said today (6 March).
Coors is also developing a new dynamic publishing system, allowing customers to create their own beer lists, wine menus and promotional materials, the group announced.
The news comes after Coors' CEO Hunter told an analyst conference hosted by parent firm Molson Coors that up to a quarter of UK pubs are likely to disappear within the next decade.
As reported by just-drinks yesterday, Hunter said: "That's probably no bad thing, because these are pubs from a period in history where their proposition is no longer relevant, where we've changed from an industrial society to more of a service industry."
Could the timing of the coorsdirect.com announcement be a spot of bridge building? Ahem.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- TWE renames Blossom Hill fruit wine range