Blog: Coors for concern
Olly Wehring | 6 March 2009
How about this for a coincidence?
Less than two days after the head of Coors Brewers, Mark Hunter, told analysts in New York that pub closures in the UK were "no bad thing", Coors has decided to promote its "commitment" to the on-trade.
A press release has arrived at just-drinks towers declaring that Coors, which brews Carling, is this month launching a website to act as a "hassle free" ordering service for independent pubs and clubs across the country.
www.coorsdirect.com is being launched "as part of Coors Brewers' commitment to support the on-trade despite difficult economic times", the brewer said today (6 March).
Coors is also developing a new dynamic publishing system, allowing customers to create their own beer lists, wine menus and promotional materials, the group announced.
The news comes after Coors' CEO Hunter told an analyst conference hosted by parent firm Molson Coors that up to a quarter of UK pubs are likely to disappear within the next decade.
As reported by just-drinks yesterday, Hunter said: "That's probably no bad thing, because these are pubs from a period in history where their proposition is no longer relevant, where we've changed from an industrial society to more of a service industry."
Could the timing of the coorsdirect.com announcement be a spot of bridge building? Ahem.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends